I need help linking HTML ED, VSD and...

User 476126 Photo

9 posts

I have not posted the website yet (I have been laboring on it for months-and it does act well, looks nice, etc). Now I have to put the components together.

QUESTION: I have a flash intro designed with "links" to pages within the website (Login, Register, Tour), How do I link this to the primary site (being designed in VSD). I do not know what the page links are so I cannot specify what the links are. Example: I want the Login page to go to a page I have created called Login in VSD but I dont know how to link to that page outside of VSD... like should it be: www.mysite.com/login.html?) I don't see how this will work in that I have not posted the site yet and I want to preview everything before I upload-of course.) I am probably missing something simple but I hope that the knowledge base will provide an answer quicker than I can figure it out alone.
Sidenote- I have heard that CC should not be used to create professional sites, I hope this is not the case and I have had no real issues related to this yet. Is there something I am missing that would make me start all over with another software-not going to happen but I would like to hear suggestions.

I Love Coffee Cup!

Thanks for your help and time. Peace and may the hand of God be upon you.
User 448695 Photo

88 posts

Hi Jack,

I'm no expert but will give this a go :0)

Your homepage - the one with front page ticked in the page pop up box in VSD - should be www.yoursite.com/index.html

Your other pages should be called www.yoursite.com/pageid.html where the pageid is the page id you typed in when you created your pages.

You might find that you won't be able to see how it all works together until you upload your site though...

Unless you've done some advertising of your site, it's unlikely that anybody will find it in a search if you upload it. And you can still change your site once it is uploaded if it doesn't work how you want it to......

Anyway, I hope this has helped and good luck with your business :0)

Sharon
Bumpy Buns
Specializing in Australian Modern Cloth Nappies
www.bumpybuns.com.au
User 244141 Photo

Ambassador
1,209 posts

Hi,

Just want to add coffeecup is used with many professional sites. Html coders don't always like a wysiwyg editor like vsd, but I have to disagree and seen some excellent pages created in visual site designer that are fully functional. I have several options for site production, but still find vsd a attractive solution in many cases.

:)
Web Design: https://www.websnoogie.com
Member - BBB: Websnoogie, LLC

User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Jack,

VSD is a wonderful program for many people, such as those that are just beginning, those that prefer a WYSIWYG editor, and those that do not what to learn HTML. As with anything, the look and feel of the site will depend on the programmer and that can result in a site that is great as a commercial site, or it could look like a mess.

With the HTML Editor you have more control over the site, and you can incorporate some things that VSD will not do (as far as I know) such as using MYSQL and loading pages via the database. With the HTML Editor, you can create anything that any other programmer can create if you have the same programming knowledge.

If you are going to have a flash intro, I think it will be named index.html, and you will need to specify the name for your main VSD page.
User 463058 Photo

Ambassador
1,073 posts
Online Now

Jack Byars wrote:
Sidenote- I have heard that CC should not be used to create professional sites, I hope this is not the case and I have had no real issues related to this yet. Is there something I am missing that would make me start all over with another software-not going to happen but I would like to hear suggestions.

The HTML Editor is fine, and it has a wysiwyg mode. When someone pays you to create their website, they generally don't know about and therefore don't care if the site is using semantically correct markup and meeting accessibility standards. As the developer/designer, it's your job to know about and implement these things correctly.

Based on the sites I've seen, VSD doesn't give you the control you need to do these things, but the HTML Editor will.

This free PDF may be of use to those interested in accessibility:
http://www.nngroup.com/reports/accessibility/

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.