HTML Update Library Items Feature Not...

User 2361117 Photo

115 posts

As I had previously submitted a support ticket to coffeecup a few months back in regard to a question never resolved pertaining to a feature that repeatedly fails to function as intended in using HTML editor (latest full/paid version), I thought I'd post it in the HTML forum for others to take a look at in possibly providing a solution. However, I should first state that I am not a newbie to coffeecup HTML Editor, as I first started using the HTML Editor when I originally designed and hard coded my website back in 2010. As I just completed a major redesign/overhaul of my former website to make it mobile friendly, I had purchased the latest version of coffeecup HTML editor last October, 2017, as I wanted to have the latest version believing it would provide a lot of new features to help me expedite the work ahead. I should also add that back in 2010, I do not remember having a library feature that allows one to create a library item and update the code in one or more HTML pages all at once which the latest version allegedly provides. Last but not least, I should also add that, in order to save some time, I searched online and found an already made responsive website theme that appeared to best serve my needs. All said, I have since completed my website redesign/makeover. However, in using the HTML Editor, I have never been unable to get the Library Update Items to update one let alone several or more pages inside the Editor. On the other hand, I have no problem adding a Library item, updating a Library item, etc.. However, once again, if and when I wanted to update a line of code appearing on one or more pages like the code in a navigation menu, it fails to update whereby all '0's are displayed in the resulting window. I am just wondering as to whether or not the responsive website theme I started out with has anything to do with this feature not performing as intended as I really dislike having to update each page individually where the code is duplicated from one page to another. For those interested, my website address is: www.inspectabuilding.com Thank you ahead of time.
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

I suppose you have already read this: https://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles … ary-items/
The important thing is, when you want to update something that is added as a library item, you need to make the changes in the actual library item, not in one of the instances where it is being used. And after saving the changes, you need to click on Update. You have three options; current page, all open pages or project pages. Select the option that corresponds with your setup.

I have to say that I didn't use the library myself, I preferred php includes. But I made a wee test with three pages now, and it worked (I used 'all open pages').
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 2917290 Photo

7 posts

Hello, i have problem too with Library.
Lets' say i've 10 files HTML where 5 are mainly equal and other 5 are mainly equal,
Inside each 5, i have 2 files of a A family and 3 files of B family, but between A and B change only some line of code and the rest is equal.
So i created 2 Library items : the A item will change the files where A item is inserted, the B the B one's.
But the strange thing is when i change In A item a line that is equal in B item, when i do the update to files, Coffe makes the update yes on the A html but also on the B html.
Why ?
Hope is clear ...
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

Sorry, not quite clear. In each group of 5 files, 2 of those files are 'A' files, the remaining 3 are 'B' files? What are the library items called? Do they have different names to show where they are supposed to go?
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

User 2917290 Photo

7 posts

I try to explain better.
file 1 inside a library Item A
file 2 inside a library Item A
file 3 inside a library Item B
file 4 inside a library Item B
file 5 inside a library Item B

Item A and Item B are 99% equal and they differ only on some internal menu link
If i modify the Item A on some other line equal in B, when i update A (so files 1 and 2), also files 3-4-5 will be updated but the menu link remain ok.

I checked twice and inside the files the Librarys refer are ok
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

So you are saying that the update is ok, you just want to know why it happens? I may be dense, but I still don't understand if you are reporting a problem, or if you are just curious about why something happens. If you need help. it would be better if you could let us see the files, also the library item files. If the project files are very large, make a copy where you just include the part where you have the library files inserted, plus a little bit before and after. We would need to see at least one A file and one B file, plus the corresponding library files.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

User 2917290 Photo

7 posts

Sorry,
i want to know why files 1-2 are correctly updated by item A but also files 3-4-5, without any refer to Library A item are updated the same
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

In that case you'd better open a support ticket and ask directly. This is just a user forum, and I'm no CC staff member.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

User 2917290 Photo

7 posts

yet done,
but is Holiday in US, so i asked also here in the forum.
tks for your help.
User 2361117 Photo

115 posts

In answer to Inger's response, it appears that my post has been misinterpreted or wasn't clear. Rather than reiterate everything again, suffice it to say that I only realize too clearly that the change or modification has to be made to the Library item then the option to click and update a current page or all pages currently open. In no disrespect, for a person who is not new to HTML, CSS, C+, Javascript, etc.., this is common sense or inferred in adding and using Library items to expedite updating code on my website pages in coffeecup HTML Editor so that I don't have to copy and paste, i.e., update the same code on each page individually. This noted, once again I am able to add Library items, edit the Library items I have added, etc.. but am unable to update the code the Library item refers to or is based on whether I elect to update one or more pages whereby the end result is always the same in that nothing gets changed or updated. I really don't know how to explain this otherwise other than this particular feature is not functioning as intended on either my desktop or laptop PC. Interesting enough, in performing a search on Google, it appears that someone else also experienced this or a similar issue in using the update Library feature and posted this a few years ago for which I could find no solution. Figure?

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.