Discovering All the Attributes of a...

User 2865460 Photo

6 posts

New user here exploring HTML Editor, but with lots of experience with other editors. I've been looking for some time at a way to enter new tags or to edit existing ones such that all the possible tag attributes are revealed, including the ones not yet used in a particular tag.

Coffee Cup lets me insert the simple <br> tag, for example, into my page by double-clicking it from the Code tab. How could I discover that I could insert the clear attribute, for example <br clear=right>, but using Coffee Cup?

A wizard-like form would be ideal, but I would accept anything better than going off to an HTML resource to look up a particular tag, and then coming back to type attributes into Coffee Cup's source code view.
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,450 posts

If you look along the left side of the open programme, you will see a tab 'code'. There you'll find all the tags for html, css and more. Where there is a + you find the various attributes.
As to the <br> it has no attributes, the clear has to be done in css.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 2865460 Photo

6 posts

Inger wrote:
If you look along the left side of the open programme, you will see a tab 'code'. There you'll find all the tags for html, css and more. Where there is a + you find the various attributes.

Yes, the code list does include some attributes under their + listings, but not all. I prefer to use css for page-wide statements, not for one particular element as in the case of <br clear=right> for that one break. But I'm very close to finding a workaround.

Under the main menu's Edit button, I clicked "Add/Edit HTML Tag Markup", selected HTML, clicked br from the elements list, and added the "clear" text attribute. If I could have enabled the "Selected Attribute Values" to the right to list left, right, and all, then my problem would be solved. But everything there stayed greyed out.

This did add a + under br with the clear="" attribute, an improvement, but not great until I can list the 3 allowable values. Any thoughts on how to do that?
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,450 posts

Just for one instance of br I would havde written <br style="clear: right;" />
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

User 2865460 Photo

6 posts

Peter Shikli wrote:
Inger wrote:

Yes, the code list does include some attributes under their + listings, but not all. I prefer to use css for page-wide statements, not for one particular element as in the case of <br clear=right> for that one break. But I'm very close to finding a workaround.

Under the main menu's Edit button, I clicked "Add/Edit HTML Tag Markup", selected HTML, clicked br from the elements list, and added the "clear" text attribute. If I could have enabled the "Selected Attribute Values" to the right to list left, right, and all, then my problem would be solved. But everything there stayed greyed out.

This did add a + under br with the clear="" attribute, an improvement, but not great until I can list the 3 allowable values. Any thoughts on how to do that?

I just took a step closer to my objective. On the above "Add/Edit HTML Tag Markup", I picked the "Attribute Type" to be Array, and then was allowed to enter the 3 text attributes "left", "right", and "all". This should have worked but the Code list still shows the + item below <br> as clear="" without its array list. Likewise when I double-click it to insert it into a page, I'm not shown the array. So close.
User 379556 Photo

1,535 posts

Although it doesn't help in training ("discovering all the attributes"), one can set up whatever one wishes in Snippets (tab just below the code tab).

Frank
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,450 posts

Actually, 'clear' is not a html tag, it belongs in the css tab. You'll find it there with all the properties: left, right, both (not 'all'), inherit and none.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.