Coffee Cup Software and Linux - Post...

User 3004957 Photo

846 posts

Thanks for your responses! It's sad that there are no plans to make Linux versions of CoffeeCup software. If I was a programmer, I'd happily take on the task, but I'm not. Oh well, looks like if I did go totally GNU/Linux with Ubuntu, I would definitely be losing my favourite web editor. Running CoffeeCup software through VirtualBox would be annoying because that would mean you'll need a virtual Windows OS and they can be a hassle to install, especially with their product codes and activations. I guess the other alternative Is Wine. I guess GNU/Linux users will just have to keep hoping that one day their dreams will come true.
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWtXobFa8wk&feature=related
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!
User 498407 Photo

4 posts

I would love to see it to. I am using windows and mac at the moment. Not really into the whole hyped up mac thing and hate windows. Love the UI of Ubuntu. So would love to see a Linux version of CC one day.

Love CC software.
Web Design Cape Town
www.webdesigncapetown.co.za
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Jo Ann wrote:
Hiya Brad,

I'm pretty sure I read in a thread a little while ago that there is not plans to create Linux versions of the software.

Inger Eik wrote:

Yes, I've read that too. Among other things because all, or nearly all, Linux stuff is open source, so it's a financial question. Lance's solution for running CC apps will be the best, me thinks.
User 629005 Photo

Ambassador
2,174 posts

Open Source does not equal FREE (although yes, there is quite a bit of FREE Linux based software out there). There are also many successful Pay to Play Linux software titles as well.
Living the dream, stocking the cream :D
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

Open source projects are generally free. People take advantage of open source projects, adding or manipulating functionality for profit. Of course the original open source code remains free.
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!
User 422767 Photo

259 posts

Sometimes even adding in advertisements which don't cost users anything but attention. :cool:
Aren't you a little short for a Storm Trooper?
User 629005 Photo

Ambassador
2,174 posts

Tomalicious wrote:
Open source projects are generally free. People take advantage of open source projects, adding or manipulating functionality for profit. Of course the original open source code remains free.

I agree Tom, that Open Source and Free often go hand in hand. BUT it is often mis-understood. Open Source just means that you have access to the code, and can make modifications to it under certain stipulations (usually that you give credit where credit is due). You can charge for Open Source software, even if you obtained it freely, but usually take on the responsibility of supporting the paying customer.

Shareware or Freeware is a completely different beast, but people seem to want to merge Open Source with either one and unless specified in the "licensing" they aren't "one and the same".
Living the dream, stocking the cream :D
User 732206 Photo

107 posts

Guess what? I have been using Coffee Shop software to build my website and a few others a while ago, but I have been quiet for many years now, since I retired... that is until this year...

I lost everything that was on my Mac but as it was considered obsolete by Apple, I decided to install Linux on it since I have been using it for a long time at work, on a personal PC but was using Unix for work, etc...

Now, I don’t have any Apple software but re-discovered Linux and am missing some good software to play again with my website... and when someone mentioned on a Linux forum that he was looking for some good software for web development, I decided to come back and check here for that... maybe... :-)

Btw, I am finding software to replace what I was using on my Mac, and some are even better... wow... I stay on Linux.

Here is an example of what I mean and take a minute to read about the Linux version they offer now...

https://code-industry.net/free-pdf-editor/

It’s changing...
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

You chanced upon quite an old thread here, GTech. Coffeecup have not, and probably will not go the Linux route.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.