Can you set default browser? - Post...

User 19850 Photo

33 posts

Win 10 64
When I click default browser, IE 11.xxx opens then is overlain with a dialog asking me to set bing as default search engine.

Since there is no way to close this dialog except through being forced to select bing, I have to open task manager to end it.

I searched registry for entry but found none. How do I change default browser?
User 379556 Photo

1,535 posts

I'm not at all sure whether the notes below will help, but they just might do so.

In The HTML Editor, 'Test With Default Browser' has a shortcut of Control+F9, and always selects IE 11, regardless of the default browser setting in Windows 10. The first Addional Browser has a shortcut of Control+F5. I use that shortcut and set the first additional one to Firefox, the browser set as my default for Windows 10. Setting the Addtional Browsers is via Tools > Preferences > Browser Testing tab.

As to the IE 11 search-engine matter itself, I would be inclined just to go along with the dialogue request. In the IE 11 cog-icon menu > Manage add-ons > Search Providers, one can right-click on the Bing entry and disable it, but I don't know whether that will stop the message from appearing. At the bottom left of that screen there is a link to 'Find more search providers ...' but it leads nowhere.

Frank
User 19850 Photo

33 posts

That is what I was afraid of. I find it kind of strange that the CC Editor does not have a reg entry where the default and list is stored. So simple unless MS paid them not to.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.