Input elements - Post ID 268077

User 187934 Photo

Senior Advisor
20,181 posts

It's hard to say without seeing the actual project.
I can't hear what I'm looking at.
It's easy to overlook something you're not looking for.

This is a site I built for my work.(RSD)
http://esmansgreenhouse.com
This is a site I built for use in my job.(HTML Editor)
https://pestlogbook.com
This is my personal site used for testing and as an easy way to share photos.(RLM imported to RSD)
https://ericrohloff.com
User 2841431 Photo

21 posts

Hey Guys!

Just to give you a heads-up looks like an update has fixed the issue I had with placeholders.

Basically to add one to an input element, do the usual to add the element to your design then:

1) Go to attributes
2) Click Custom in the list
3) Under Name enter Placeholder
4) Under Value enter your placeholder text and Voila!

Many thanks to coffeecup for sorting or adding this!
User 2841431 Photo

21 posts

Beware!

Once they're set you don't seem to be able to edit them now, grr. Next update!
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Jamie Dean wrote:
Beware!

Please provide the exact steps you are taking so we can try and replicate.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2841431 Photo

21 posts

Hi, submitted a support request as it looked like a bug and a support guy advised in a future update it should be fixed.

But to replicate do the following:

1) Add input element to your design
2) Add a custom attribute to the input element with Name=Placeholder & Value=Whatever I Like

The change takes affect and appears on the design and when exported, saved, etc the custom attribute doesn't show under the attributes section and if you try to add it again it says its already in use. I checked inside the rff file (as its basically a zip file with json formatted files and the placeholders have been added to the elements)

if you export or preview the placeholder is in place.

Scott Swedorski wrote:
Jamie Dean wrote:
Beware!

Please provide the exact steps you are taking so we can try and replicate.
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts

I don't see the problem, Jamie, unless you mean something completely different.

I opened the programme and selected the blank with components.
I split the one default column in two and added a place holder image in the left part.
I selected Custom in the attributes. I was given a name as 'data-custom-1', which I was not able to change to anything. Is THAT the problem you have? I think it's supposed to be like that.
Then I added some text as the value.

Later I changed the attribute to something else, like aria, or role, no problem there.
I also changed the value, no problems there either.
I changed the placeholder image to a local one, and then changed the attribute and value again. No problem.

So what is your problem?
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts

Repeated the same steps with an input element, with exactly the same result. The attribute names cannot be anything which is not in the list. But otherwise everything worked, also changing attribute and value. In fact, if I want to, I can add several attributes to the same element. Also, I can delete attributes, and even the whole input element.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

User 2841431 Photo

21 posts

Inger wrote:
Repeated the same steps with an input element, with exactly the same result. The attribute names cannot be anything which is not in the list. But otherwise everything worked, also changing attribute and value. In fact, if I want to, I can add several attributes to the same element. Also, I can delete attributes, and even the whole input element.

You must be using another program....

Open my RFF file attached, it has the top input element stuck with a placeholder attribute set.

But to repeat do this:

1) Open blank
2) First column drop a form component
3) In form component drop an input element
4) Select input element and expand the ATTRIBUTES PANEL
5) Click on Add "Select an attribute"
6) Choose the first one "Custom"
7) Change the name to "Placeholder" and value to "What I Like" (bear in mind this is a custom element, so naturally you can customise the name and value)
8) Now you will either be greeted with an error "The name is reserved" (Thats because you didn't type it exactly as above, CAPITAL P!)

or

The placeholder is set, click a different element and then reselect the input element you created the attribute on and voila, its set but you cannot edit it now.

Attachments:
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts

I have been using Responsive Foundation Framer 2.0, build 281.

I followed your steps and understood what you meant. The attribute 'Placeholder' was not visible after the input element had been reselected. If you keep the default name, you can edit the attribute whenever it pleases you.

The way I now understand it, the name 'placeholder' (lowercase) is the reserved name. Somehow the uppercase P is regarded as a different character when typing the name. I believe both 'placeholder' and 'Placeholder' should be parsed as one and the same thing.

By the way, I tried any other name, like 'something', 'Inger' etc, both with upper and lower case initials, and they all work fine. They Show up in the Attribute category and can be edited. So my conclusion is, that the word P/placeholder should actually not be used as an attribute name. Why not use a synonym, like 'temporary' or so?
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

User 2841431 Photo

21 posts

The reason for using Placeholder is by design, its meant to be used instead of labels as labels are ugly. Placeholders are part of HTML 5 and modern browsers use them as well as mobile ones, seems like it should be included.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.