Convert from pureFoundation with Zurb...

User 1738266 Photo

52 posts

I have some sites that I hand-coded with CC editor using the Zurb stack, SASS, and Panini. I have the latest versions of both Site Designer and Foundation Framer. I am seeking guidance/opinions on migrating to either of these. The sites are fairly basic but have nested responsive drop down navigation menus.

I am appending the source Panini partial for a pared-down example to show what I am doing.

Thanks in advance.

<div data-sticky-container="">
<div data-sticky data-options="marginTop:0;">
<div class="title-bar" data-responsive-toggle="nav-menu"
data-hide-for="medium" style="display:none;">
<button class="menu-icon" type="button" data-toggle="nav-menu"></button>
<div class="title-bar-title">
Menu
</div>
</div>
<div class="top-bar my-top-bar" id="nav-menu">
<ul class="vertical medium-horizontal dropdown menu"
style="background-color: #5e004c ; color: #FAF0E6;"
data-responsive-menu="accordion medium-dropdown">
<li style="background-color: #5e004c ; color:#FAF0E6;">
<a href="#">Information on the Haudenosaunee</a>
<ul class="menu vertical nested" style=
"background-color: #5e004c ; color: #FAF0E6;">
<li>
<a href="visit-sites.html">Places in New York
with Information and Events about the
Haudenosaunee</a>
</li>
<li>
<a href="links.html">Links to Sites of
Interest</a>
</li>
</ul>
</li>
<li>
<a href="#">Photo Galleries</a>
<ul class="menu vertical nested">
<li>
<a href="yager.html">Beadwork Exhibit at Yager Museum</a>
</li>
<li>
<a href="chemung.html">Beadwork Exhibit at Chemung Valley History Museum</a>
</li>
</ul>
</li>
<li>
<a href="#">Books, Articles</a>
<ul class="menu vertical nested">
<li>
<a href="dolores-articles.html">Articles by
Dolores Elliott on Iroquois Beadwork</a>
</li>
<li>
<a href="sell-books.html">Books For Sale</a>
</li>
</ul>
</li>
<li>
<a href="About.html">About/Contact ISA</a>
</li>
<li>
<a href="index.html">Home</a>
</li>
</ul>
</div>
</div>
</div>

User 2903050 Photo

260 posts

1st question is if using the zurb stack and I assume a partial for the navigation element, why would you want to transfer over?
2nd question, yes I would assume its possible in SD3 (have not used foundation framer) however all your divs with have its container class added by default so could bloat the code or make it not work.
Regards Phil
User 1738266 Photo

52 posts

Thanks Phil,

I understand that your position is that since I have all my custom components coded and working that I should just keep hand coding and not argue with success. Its not really a lot of work to just copy and tweak library items for new pages or versions.

Perhaps SD3 and RFF are more suitable for a scratch-pad to prototype to finished site workflow?

User 2903050 Photo

260 posts

I would say then the best way to see if it will work is try and find out in sd3. You should be able to add the data attribute for the sticky container anchorTop etc.
It would be great if you could let us know if have success or not. Just not sure if it would be a lot extra work when it would be easier to make a template partial and scss file for the nav to add to other projects.
I am biased in my thinking somewhat as loving the zurb stack, especially the sass compiler and browser sync amongst other things.. Regards
User 2903050 Photo

260 posts

Think I misunderstood. Are you saying sd3 would be like a pre design phase for creating like a template. Then afterwards handcode with zurb stack etc?
User 1738266 Photo

52 posts

Phil,

Thanks for your advice. I will dig deeper into the Components and Styles. I am going away for a while. I will be back with my experience later.

Over and out.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.