Uploading to internet - Post ID 77333

User 97153 Photo

4 posts

I have conflicting imfo from godaddy my server, and coffeecup when trying to put the uploading imfo in?
One says to type in my domainname in the FTPserver ----------
and godaddy says to type in 'godaddy'
Also in the www field do you put your whole domain name or just 'www'
I gather the profile name is your site name?
sorry I'm new at this and only have version 3 that I bought a few years ago .It doesnt have a test feature. So how can I tell if the upload works?
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Sandra,

I have one GoDaddy site. This is what works for me.

I enter my domain name without the www. Just enter mydomain.com (using your real domain name.

I enter the user name

I enter the password.

The profile name is something you associate with the site. It really comes into play when you have multiple sites.

I don't have the same version of the program you are using, so I can't give you a screen shot.
User 97153 Photo

4 posts

So how long until one can view the site on the net? And where will I find the location address ?
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Sandra,

If you have uploaded to your site, you should be able to view the pages immediately. Once you view a page, you may need to clear your cache to view any changes, but generally just refreshing the page will allow you to view changes.

Have you uploaded? If so, you entered your domain name in the FTP information. Use that in your browser to view your page. As an example, the domain name of this site is coffeecup.com and that is what would be entered as the domain in an FTP application. To view this site, you use a browser and enter www.coffeecup.com and your browser finds the site and displays it.
User 97153 Photo

4 posts

I have filled in the domain name in FTP server location ,Done the username and password (checked with godaddy on that) I have uploaded the site using the send button . It says its gone to be published.
I used to have an old site using the same domain name and understood that the new web site would replace the old one when I uploaded it.
I get a 'Coming soon' message and another message 'If I am the owner of the site that I input something wrong on FTP ,but thats what I have been checking out with you and it appears to be right. But I can not get my site to come up on the browser using the url that I have always had for this website.,
Should I be doing something else at the godaddy end. I have checked my domain name and the hosting pkg I purchased 'Linex' they appear in my products with them. Frustrated!!
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Sandra,

Do you have a stand-alone FTP program? If not, CoffeeCup has a free FTP program.

Using an FTP program, log in to your site and see what is there. You may see a folder that you do not remember putting in place (it may have something like your user name or www) and if you see that, try to copy your files to that folder.

Many host companies have folders that are the public-access folders, and anything you put in the root is not shown to the public.

If that does not help, check with GoDaddy and maybe they will check your site and let you know what happened.
User 97153 Photo

4 posts

I have tried the CC ftp program but it keeps disconnecting from thenet
I dont see any folders on my godaddy site that would indicate I have a web site.so I can not log in. I am getting so confused wished I'd never started using this.. my web is supposed to be www.manorcourtwhippets.com if you can help
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Sandra,

When you go to your domain, you get a message that there is nothing there, and a click here for ftp help. Click on that link, select CoffeeCup and see if that information helps.

According to that you should have a folder with your user name. So if your user name is sfweb, you would see /sfweb with the FTP program.
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,456 posts
Online Now

Sandra, I can't find if you have mentioned which CoffeeCup programme you are using. Are you trying to upload via VSD or HTML Editor? The built-in ftp modules may be a bit different.

But as Bill said; it is wise to have a standalone FTP prog. in addition to either of the two mentioned above. With the built-in FTP you can upload, but if you want to log into your server and look around to check what is where, you need to use a standalone programme.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

Hi,
Sounds like your using the package by Cosmi which offers Visual Site Designer version 3.0. The settings are as BillR and Inger Eik suggested.
http://kellyinfo.com/web/cosmiVSD.jpg

Example:http://kellyinfo.com/MyFiles/Cosmi.html

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.