Upgraded to Free FTP 4.3 and no...

User 232003 Photo

5 posts

Hello,

Firstly. thanks for the free version of FTP - I love it. I was using 4.2 (Build 0 (I THINK) and I was connecting to my server fine. I noticed 4.3 was out so I upgraded and could not connect. It was returning error code 425 which I looked up in your FAQs and it said I should enable Passive, which I did (I cant remember what it was on old version - why would it change on upgrade?).

I now get this message (which Icant find help on):
"There was a problem connecting to your host or proxy. Please check your server settings and try again. If you are sure you have entered the correct information, please contact your network administrator or the server administrator. [7] Additional information: couldn't connect to host."

1. www.pokerdiy.com
2. XP SP3
3. 4.3 1815
4. Free
5. What specific steps have you taken to create this issue? JUST LOADED OLD SETTINGS
6. Does it occur every time? YES
7. Can you recreate the issue on another computer? CANT TRY

Any advice appreciated.

User 232003 Photo

5 posts

I just found out that in my old version I did NOT have Passive checked if that helps (and it worked fine).Using FTP protocol, port 21.
User 232003 Photo

5 posts

ps - I then installed the old version 4.2 on my D: drive and it works immediately with the same settings.
User 232003 Photo

5 posts

Ok, now I have upgraded to Windows 7 and 4.3 is still not working.

I understand it is a free product, but some support would be nice.

Where can I download 4.2 from so I can at least do my work?
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya Rodney,

Have you tried making sure it's set to Admin privs? I've found that quite a few programs need that setting for Windows 7, CC programs and others too. Not all of them, but a good handful do. Try that and see if it works. Also if that doesn't work, try setting it to Windows XP compatibility. Let us know if that helps at all or if you have already done that since changing to Windows 7
User 417702 Photo

14 posts

I'm having the same problem on my VSD. The connection works fine on my ole laptop and now I'm trying to use VSD on my new desktop Win 7 Ultimate using the exact same server settings that are also used on my laptop and it will not connect.
Jo Ann makes a statement "Have you tried making sure it's set to Admin privs?" What is "it's" Jo Ann?
How do you set Admins Privs to possibly correct this problem. Been trying to get VSD to connect for the past 3 weeks and customer service doesn't seem to get it. Also my FTP program has the same problem.
HELP someone!!!
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

coyote wrote:
I'm having the same problem on my VSD. The connection works fine on my ole laptop and now I'm trying to use VSD on my new desktop Win 7 Ultimate using the exact same server settings that are also used on my laptop and it will not connect.
Jo Ann makes a statement "Have you tried making sure it's set to Admin privs?" What is "it's" Jo Ann?
How do you set Admins Privs to possibly correct this problem. Been trying to get VSD to connect for the past 3 weeks and customer service doesn't seem to get it. Also my FTP program has the same problem.
HELP someone!!!

Hiya coyote,

Close the program(s) you are going to do this on.

Right click on the shortcut that opens your program(s) and then choose Properties at the bottom.

Go to Compatibility tab and at the bottom you should see a check box for "Run this program as an administrator".

Check that box, say ok, then reopen the program and see if that fixed anything. If not, then repeat up to the Compatibility tab again and use the dropdown at the top area of that tab for setting to Windows XP SP3 compatibility, save and once again try to run the program and see if that helped.

Let us know if that helped at all and hopefully we will have something else to try.
User 232003 Photo

5 posts

Hi Jo Ann,

It's not a Windows 7 problem - it did not work in XP either, I was just saying that it STILL does not work in Win 7 with the latest version of FreeFTP. I am logged in as Admin.

As soon as I install FF 4.2 it works again.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.