Unable to drag & drop in Free FTP -...

User 29507 Photo

Micronair
98 posts

I'm not doing CC any favours - I have a friend (IT Consultant!) who is totally computer illiterate, and I maintain his web site.

Anyhow, anticipating my possible demise at the approach of my 70th, he needs to be able to update the web site himself.

I wrote a line-by-line idiot's guide, and got him to download the Free FTP prog. I didn't try and persuade him to pay for Direct FTP, as I didn't really expect him to take on the challenge once he'd had a go.

I then started to talk him through the sequences on the phone ( I knew he'd be on the phone in a panic as soon as he received the instructions).

We got as far as him being ready to paste the required html text into the FTP editing pane, but for some reason we were both unable to drag the required file into the work area.

We *were* both able to download the file to the computer, where it could be edited and uploaded.

Anyone know why it won't drag 'n drop?
David G Powner, MIVA
uk.linkedin.com/pub/david-powner/9/aa7/4a6
User 473962 Photo

3 posts

I'm not sure why it won't drag and drop, but I wanted to recommend the excellent open source / free FTP program FireFTP. It is a firefox plug-in that you can get, and it works quite well, and can do drag and drop as well.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.