Suggestions for CoffeeCup Direct FTP...

User 3004957 Photo

846 posts

Try navigating to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CoffeeCup Software\CoffeeCup HTML Editor\Profiles\ in the registry. If they are there, highlight the key (by right-clicking on it), select export from the menu and copy the resulting file to your new machine. Double click to merge it (with the editor closed) and when you open it next time, your settings should be there.

Ifg not there, try finding the sharedSettings.css file file in the root of appdata\Roaming folder (in Vista) or similar location in XP; this file contains all the DirectFTP servers it might have the editor ones as well (or maybe in a similar file). Copy to the same location and the editor should pick them up.

They are in one place or the other I think....

Dave.

User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

I could only find partial info in the registry, and nothing in shared files at all, but..

One thing that I found that helps me make sure I don't "forget" *coughs* with my great memory *coughs* lol, is to use a my ID/PW program such as you can use Coffeecup's Lockbox to keep this information. Create new fields and add what you need in there so you have all your FTP files at your fingertips without having to hunt for the papers that the info was written on.

I know this doesn't solve the issue of "Where does Coffeecup software keep all the settings for their programs" since it's hard to find any for any of the programs at all actually, but at least it will minimize the loss should you have to reformat or something. Then you can just pop your info on a flash drive or something when you travel or for formatting etc.
User 3004957 Photo

846 posts

I just checked mine and all my project settings are kept in the registry key but of course the password is obfuscated so it doesn't help if you have forgotten it. merging that hive should replenish the editor's server information though...

Dave.
User 102564 Photo

1 post

Hi All:

I felt that I must jump in here. I have been usining DFTP for many years and have always been confounded by this problem when upgrading machnes which I do regularly. I am fairly sophisticated user yet I cannot get the registry copy method to work.

I have located the pertinent registry entries without proble. Copied them and merged them back into my new machines registry also without incident. They' are there as they should be. Unfortunately DFTPO does not seem to pick up the new entries.

I would add that on my machines the registry entry is under

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CoffeeCup Software\Internet\Profiles

Does this make sense? In any event there are no relevant entries under appdata...\roaming

Any help here would be appreciated as the many people I've convinced to use Coffeecup are not pleased with me becuase of this glaring oversight.

Thanks in advance,
-Mark
User 3004957 Photo

846 posts

In the latest version of DirectFTP, all relevant settings are stored in the sharedSettings.css file located in the root of the appdata\Roaming folder (in Vista/7) or similar location in XP. There is practically nothing in the registry any more.

Dave.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Love to see a right click "Explore" option that will allow us to open highlighted files, in the FTP listing, with Windows Explorer. I got pretty used to that with my old one and miss that feature a lot.
User 461161 Photo

10 posts

I tried your ftp program, tested it against Handy Backup. Sorry, but I liked Handy Backup infinitely way more. There's a heckuva lot more versatility, which I NEED that.

Interestingly enough, I uploaded the same files to my ftp site using both programs several times, and the Handy Backup was considerably faster. Who'd have thunk that? I really didn't expect there to be a difference, so I was surprised when there was one. But speed to me is everything, especially when working with air cards and wave files.

So I bought the Handy Backup and have to tell others to buy that program as well, but I did think of you guys first.

If you incorporated WebDAV components like Web Drive does, that'd be nice.
User 25656 Photo

Ambassador
39 posts

Please make it possible to export the server data, so it's easy to transport all data to a new PC. (or is this already an option, and I am not aware of it :/ )
Greetz, Lex
CC user form 1997 (or '96?)
Boater (RIB), Diver, Kawabiker, webmaster, father, gamer, developer, compufreak :-)
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Lex van Lith wrote:
Please make it possible to export the server data, so it's easy to transport all data to a new PC. (or is this already an option, and I am not aware of it :/ )

You an do that now. All you need to do is copy this file:

If you are using Windows XP, go to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\SharedSettings.ccs

If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, go to C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\SharedSettings.ccs
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 31159 Photo

24 posts

Wolverana wrote:

One thing that I found that helps me make sure I don't "forget" *coughs* with my great memory *coughs* lol, is to use a my ID/PW program such as you can use Coffeecup's Lockbox to keep this information. Create new fields and add what you need in there so you have all your FTP files at your fingertips without having to hunt for the papers that the info was written on.

Great idea there. I think I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.