Resuming Broken FTP - Post ID 79386

User 1882041 Photo

3 posts

How do you get Direct FTP (version 6.5 for Windows) to successfully resume a broken download?

My computer crashed in the middle of a big ftp transfer. There is a partial file on the receiving side, and when I try to restart the transfer, it asks me if I want to overwrite or resume the transfer. That sounded promising. But when I said "resume", it overwrote the file anyway and started from scratch.

This isn't the first time I've been in this situation, so a made a copy of the partial file.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Isn't resuming of broken transfers one of the features of Direct FTP? I thought it might be the fact that I was using a trial version. So I upgraded to the full version. But still no dice. It overwrites the partial file and starts over?

Thanks,

--Dean
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

I've notice this is the same with filezilla and wise ftp also, so I am assuming you wouldn't want to continue an upload as it will faulter in that file, so it's best to always have it start a new upload. If that makes sense. This is my opinion.

User 1882041 Photo

3 posts

Huh? After getting several hours into a large ftp, I'd want to start a new transfer just because the transfer got interrupted? That seems strange. What I'd really like is the ftp program to figure out how to resume the transfer, and fix whatever corruption may have happened to partial file due to the interruption. Wasn't that something CoffeeCup Direct FTP was designed to do?

--Dean
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

Well not that i'm a guru in this stuff, but I've uploaded alot of movies and had an interuption and when i did a continue/resume, it was a hit and miss whether it started a new or continued with the current, but it came out to be a faulty movie vs a new fresh upload, is all I was meaning, In 6.5 and filezilla, wise ftp they so far all do a new upload even if it says over write. Is that normal or the way it is, I don't know but works for me. :)
Maybe a head guy will elaborate for you. But again i'm not in a hurry either.
Soory Dean.

User 1882041 Photo

3 posts

Thanks for your insights Bruzer. It must be a tough problem to restart a broken transfer. Hopefully someone can help, both for this episode and more importantly, for future transfers.

--Dean

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.