Issues with Direct FTP freezing...

User 147010 Photo

32 posts

Since the new version I have had problems too, slow and no response.... I could make a cup of tea and drink it everytime I clicked on a folder. I now have a support ticket open as it does not connect to any of my sites. I have downloaded another FTP s/w and this works OK but I would rather use Direct FTP as I have bought it.
User 497148 Photo

4 posts

jeremyskillings@theseohelpdesk.com wrote:
I never had any troubles like this with the previous editor, and I like this one when it works, but every time I sit down and work on a site, I have the program shut down on me several times and today it kept freezing on me so that I had to shut the program down myself. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a resolution planned in the future? I like the product but if it is going to keep doing this, it is a waste of my time and I need to unfortunately go elsewhere. I'm hoping there is an easy fix or upgrade I need to do.

I have version 6.5. Have there been any updates?

This is the exact issue I am having with FTPD as well, and why I am visiting the support forums today. It acts as though it sucks every megabyte of memory out of the computer and then chokes and dies.

There are probably replies beyond this one, so I will confine my initial comment to this.

MEM
User 497148 Photo

4 posts

Nevins FRANKEL wrote:
jeremyskillings@theseohelpdesk.com wrote:
SNIP...it kept freezing...SNIP

You aren't alone. I have a pretty big website and everytime I try to connect the program freezes. If I try to connect with a small website - no problem. It seems to be size dependent. Guess I won't buy the product.

Unfortunately, I do not think that the size of the website is the issue. I have been fighting this issue with websites of 100's of pages and with a new website under development with just seven pages in it. It is my opinion that this is directly related to Vista Home Premium and something to do with particular user settings.

Yes, I know it works for some out there, but as you can see it doesn't work for all, so the question is, what is making the difference?

MEM
User 497148 Photo

4 posts

Bruce wrote:
HI All, I'm sorry for your troubles but may I ask what operating system your using, and If it's a large website, how many pages are we talking about? I a a small site, about 5 pages, using XP, SP2 with no problems is why i'm asking. Do any errors pop up when it freezes or does it just do nothing? Thanks. I wish to try and duplicate this so I can see the results myself.

(In the meantime I would suggest using Filezilla http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla )

I chose this path as well, and what a remarkable difference. No offense intended, CoffeeCup, but there was no dragging on loading and the connection to the FTP server was immediate PLUS no hanging on a switch of local or remote directories. This is why I beleive that there is something in Vista that is dogging FTPD.

MEM
User 497148 Photo

4 posts

Nevins FRANKEL wrote:
billr wrote:
Nevins,

It may be that with your input, CoffeeCup could find a solution for you that would benefit everyone that uses DFTP.

I do have a question. Even with thousands of pages, do you really need to upload all of them every time you update? I usually update a page and upload it, and sometimes, I will modify several pages, and upload 15 to 20, but I have never had to upload an entire site.

I would just feel toooo darn guilty!

I only upload (updates) 20 or 25 pages a day. What drives Java type FTP'rs crazy is the download of the directory from my server. It ends up being just shy of 2MB.

Nevins - the amount of your upload and download is not what I would consider being the capabilities of any FTP program. In my opinion that is the purpose of a FTP program that ques up files - you upload and download loads of files when you know the server is going to be less busy.

I agree with Bill, this needs to be looked at by CC and the only way is if people who have the issues such as this report it. I will put a ticket in and see if we can get it looked at.
User 123157 Photo

2 posts

I've been experiencing problems with Direct FTP, and have e-mailed the issue to the guys at CC.

It seems that Direct FTP creates individual threads when uploading files, and it's these threads that seem to hang. The rest of the queued files seem to upload fine, a bit problematic , but it only seems to happen with gif's for me.

(I'm busy upgrading my wordpress installation. This seems to be a rock-solid test case).

As I type this, I've just gotten an exception on a single file, which I;ve chosen to ignore and the rest have uploaded fine.

I can get around the problem, by not uploading folders containing many sub-folders, instead, by doing it by hand. It's irritating, and I would expect Direct FTP to manage this just fine, but I think the guys at CC can rectify this issue quickly.

Oh...and after my upload has finished, if I "clear uploaded files" and pause then unpause the files that haven't uploaded, I seem to get everything to work ok.
User 123157 Photo

2 posts

I got a reply from the guys at CC (nice and quick!) and they suggested that it might be because the server only allows a limited number of connections. The fix was to set the number of simltaneous uploads to one (Edit -> Preferences -> FTP).

While it didn't solve the problem for me, it might fix the issue for some of you guys.
User 246306 Photo

Ambassador
22 posts

Ok, sorry didn't realize you were asking a question. I have perhaps 10 pages, I use Windows XP SP 2, I am not getting any error message it just locks up. Just get NOT RESPONDING.
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

Hi, does it make a difference using the ctrl+alt+delete and closing any programs runing in the background? I also have XP SP2 no problems uploading 10 pages, or downloading. Just a question.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.