FTP software - Post ID 5098

User 419872 Photo

85 posts

I don't know why, but when I use FTP to download my html files, it corrupts the files. It adds spaces in between all of the lines.

When I use another FTP software, they download the files fine.

Why does it do this?
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts

I don't know why either, but we are beta testing a new version of Direct FTP these days, and the issue with those inserted line spaces has been fixed. There is no specific release date yet, but I don't think it will be long.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 419872 Photo

85 posts

Weird thing is that I just tried Filezilla and when I download a html file from my godaddy server, it also adds line spaces between all the code.

Anyone else experience this or have a fix?
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

Hi Steve,
I did a small test, and Using Yahoo web hosting, i went online to the server and chacked a html file, all the text and code were all together as you stated. when I viewed the file in Direct Ftp, they were spaced also,but when I downloaded it to my desktop, it was normal, did the same with Filezilla. I haven't checked yet Goadaddy, or any others, but could you maybe let us see your coded file maybe there's a reason in the coding for it to be spaced. i am also curious. Or we can wait to see if Ms Inger's suggestion will fix it.Thanks

User 419872 Photo

85 posts

Doesn't have anything to do with code. I tried multiple HTML files.

If I use godaddy's file manager and download direct, the file is fine no matter what HTML editor I use.

If I use and FTP software, and it doesn't matter which one, download an HTML file and open it with an HTML editor, there is line spaces between every code line.

I did notice if I use FTP software, and open the file with notepad, then save it, the file will open normally and no spaces. Does this make any sense?

Also, this is a separate issue.
I use windows XP pro. I created a FTP in windows xp network window. I can view my files in my main directory fine, but if I try to go in a folder, such as images, it will not let me, keeps asking for log in over and over.

Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

Hi Steve, I don't know the cause I have set up an explorer ftp, and have no problems.
I'm using XP SP2 I.E.7 could it be a settings somewhere? internet options? i'm guessing for sure.

User 419872 Photo

85 posts

Windows XP PRO:

I set up a FTP connection in my networks folder, going through networks, add a networks place, added my hosting information and it will come up fine. I can see, download, upload, all the main directory files fine. But when I try to access the other folders it will not allow me to enter them. Even though everything has the same permissions. Any IDeas?
User 419872 Photo

85 posts

As far as my original problem,

When I use Godaddy's built in file manager in their hosting site, I use it to upload and download. Then when I go and use my FTP program and download, now I have spaces. So I can assume Godaddy uses Binary code, which I cannot find a way to change it, and then I assume most FTP programs use Ascii?

So this is what seems to cause the issue of the line spaces.

I am wondering how I can fix all my files to be in sync now without corrupting everything.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.