Finding out your www folder? - Post...

User 467042 Photo

19 posts

Stuggling newbie here.....
I am using 123-reg for hosting my website. I have contacted them directly but they have not given me a clear answer. This is there response:

It seems as though the coffeecup program is referring to you hosting space. Your default www folder will be the root of you ftp or the /.

Any help?
User 467042 Photo

19 posts

This is there latest response:

Yes the folder exists and with us you do not need to specify any folder to it. If you are unable to upload this website through the software you are using try using another client. Also please confirm the login details of your FTP account so i can login here and support.

I am not sure what they mean by 'using another client'?
Do they mean not using coffeecup?
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Rix,

What FTP program are you using? Are you using the VSD built in FTP, the HTML Editor built in FTP, or a stand alone FTP program?

I suspect all you need is your domain name (yoursite.com) and the username and password supplied by your hosting service.
User 475970 Photo

4 posts

Hi Please Help --

I am having the same problem and am a newbie as well. But I must say I love CCVSD it is so user friendly.

I need to know what my www folder is. I am using Domainit as my web hosting and I was trying to use the upload feature in CCVSD but everything I have tried in my www folder comes up with the following error message: please check to see if you entered the correct internet destination server, username, password in the dialog box File->Misc->Internet Connection.

Any suggestions on what I am missing. I have my www folder set as index.html is that correct. I can't seem to find a Misc menu on my File menu.
Please help,
Hopeless :(
User 475970 Photo

4 posts

Hi Hopeless Here again-

I am confused about the add files. Adding files in my root folder. Could this be my problem? I created a web form with CCWFB and that is already loaded in my root folder exactly what files do I need to add to my root folder.

Please Help
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

Hi Hopeless,
In Visual Site Designer if you select the flash tab on the left as shown here http://kellyinfo.com/web/flashtab.png
then it will ask you to find the xml file that the form makes, once selected it will add the nessesary files needed, save it, then upload.
BTW did you figure your problem with uploading using VSD's built-in ftp?

User 475970 Photo

4 posts

Hi
Thanks for responding. Here is where I am at... I was able to add the form files to the root folder. Do I need to add the files from my website to the root folder? No, I have not figured out the www folder problem any ideas?

Thanks, Hopeless
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

hopeless I would try this in the www slot in VSD.
What do you have as the root folder? could also try without the html part too if it still doesn't work. Please let us know.
/yourdomain.com/html/

User 475970 Photo

4 posts

None of that has worked. Here are my questions.

1.) How do I find out the location of my Root folder?

2.) still having problems with the www folder entry .

3.) Once I create my website I am just saving as index. I have noticed that it also created a folder called index_website. Is this something I should be adding to the root folder?

4.) Of course it is Sunday and Domainit is not open, do you think that they are not compatible with CVSD?

5.) I am only using the trial version could this be where my problem is?

I have tried two other programs before this one and I am finding this one to be the easiest most user friendly plus the most profeesional looking but again I want to make sure I can upload something before I purchase the full product.

I appreciate your help and am greatful someone out there is so willing to help me.

Thanks,
Hopeless....
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

1) I went here to find out your ftp set up.https://support.domainit.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1281 This will give you and idea of what goes where.
server--ftp.domainit.com
user----
pass----
www----yourdomainname.com/html/
is what i see.

2) answered above

3) VSDin not going to work if you saved your project as index, try opening your site up and resaving it under a new name like so-so.com. then VSD does make all the files needed to complete the project, including an index.html, and all of these are to be uploaded to the root folder ( see settings above)

4) VSD is compatible with Domainit.com, but you should ask them exaclty what to put you in the www slot, also see their help section under ftp connections.

5) the trial is only limited to amount of time it will be available to use, otherwise it's fully functional.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.