Direct FTP Needs To Have More...

User 452266 Photo

267 posts

It would be nice to have Direct FTP with more features like WS_FTP Pro.
Things like: Multiple Connects, Group Connects, Different Colored Tabs for the Multiple Tabs, Renaming of Tabs, Changing colors of Tabs, Multiple Tabs for the Different Sites you are connected to, Corresponding Colored Tabs for the Local Directories corresponding to the Connected Site Tabs with Renaming of these Tabs also..... Just to name a few.
WS_FTP Pro is a great program but Ipswitch is getting too expensive for their yearly Maintenance/Upgrade pricing.... for the few improvements in their upgrades each time.

May The Good Lord Take A Likin' To You,
Sandcrab3 (Scooterman)
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

anybody with an extra virus for the spammers in here?

User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

Sorry, CC doesn't make virus spawning software ;)
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

I know this Inger, twas a poorly made joke I see!

User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Neil,

Maybe you want all the extra bells and whistles, but those things I would not need (like colored tabs) more than double the cost, and then they want you to buy a service contract.

I think I will stick with the current Coffeecup Direct FTP.
User 452266 Photo

267 posts

Yes, the Direct FTP Program works, and the Upgrade Pricing can't be beat! I like the other features, but the Free Lifetime Upgrades goes a Loooooooooooooong way!

May The Good Lord Take A Likin' To You,
Sandcrab3 (Scooterman)
User 418470 Photo

101 posts

I do miss the snippets in Direct FTP, made otherwise tedious editing truly on-the-fly. (built my 1st 20 page site using only direct ftp circa early 90's)
Upload compression would really be helpful.
I should have something clever to say... but I don't.
newurbanpantry.com https://www.newurbanpantry.com
frankelmo.com http://www.frankelmo.com
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Pairie Girl,

CoffeeCup is working on a new release of Direct FTP, and it is very nice.
User 292286 Photo

21 posts

Bill,

I know this is always a hang yourself question, but have you heard any approximate time frames for a new release?

I like DirectFTP really well, but I do a lot of "cross-site" type work. CuteFTP has always been good for that, but I don't like their activation process and some of their other licensing issues. Including upgrades.

What I did like most about it was that I could have multiple sites open while editing multiple documents from each site. Everything else about DFTP is really nice, but I miss those features a lot. It makes it easy to do on-site editing while copying and pasting between documents on mulitple sites.

Haven't seen anything myself on any updates, so thought I'd ask...
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Direct FTP is in Beta test right now. I don't know when it is due for release, but I suspect it will be after the final release of the HTML Editor 2008 which is close to being final.

I don't know if having multiple sites open is on the list. Being relative new to building web sites, I haven't found a need for having multiple sites open. Why would you be transferring files from one site to another?

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.