Direct FTP Instructions - Post ID 192605

User 43784 Photo

10 posts

Hi All,

I'm not a novice, not an expert, but have been kicking around these things for about 30 years.

I've used CoffeeCup applications for a number of years and have been satisfied with them, in general. However, I find this FTP application complicated for such a basic program and find the instructions inadequate.

I want to use my own server, www.garlic,com, but when using the instructions, no window pops up in which to enter it...................at least not in the first steps outlined in HELP (page 8 of the HELP PDF).

Maybe it will trun out that I;m dense, and, if so, so be it. However, it might turn out that the insgructions are quite lacking. I'm particularily referring to the figure on page 8 of the PDF insructions. I do not have that page shown in the steps described.

Anyway, any help will be sincerely appreciated.

Attachments:
Regards,

Jim
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya Jim,

Can you be more particular about what part of page 8 has you confused? I'm reading it right now in my FTP program and it looks pretty clear to me. Could it be you're on an old version of the software by any chance? Should be Version 6.9 build 1942. If that's the version you're on, give us an idea of what is confusing you a little more precisely and we'll see if we can't get your settings cleared up for you :)
User 43784 Photo

10 posts

Hi JoAnn,

I don't even have the configuration page shown on page 8. Because it doesn't come up, as it shows that it does, I can't even configure my server. Ergo, I can't even sign in to it.

I have the current version 4.5, 1942 which is the FREE version. It says I am current, but not according to what you said above. I can't update.

I noticed that my signature didn't appear on my first post. No big deal, cuz it isn't anything fancy....

Regards,

Jim
Regards,

Jim
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Ahh ok you're on the free version, that would be slightly different, not sure how different, but for the most part the setup should be very similar to the paid version. All the items listed should pretty much be the same, might not be exactly in the same places, and the buttons may look different, but the main features should be there. The screen shot you attached is the same as I have in the paid version ( I really have no idea what the differences are between the paid and free versions ), but the setup is most likely the same.

To setup your server in there fill in the first 4 lines (nickname, server, username and password) that pertain to your server. Nickname can be whatever you want it to be so you recognize it on the list and know which one you're connecting to. Port can usually stay at 21. Passive is something you'll need to check with your host on to see if it needs that, or you can just try it without and if you can't connect, try it with it and see if that helps. Some need it, some don't.

Local folder you just point to the location on your computer you want the FTP program to open when you connect to that server, each server has it's own local and remote locations setup.

Remote folder is usually where people get tripped up. Usually it's something like:

/public_html/

but sometimes it can be

/www/htdocs/

so you may need to try both ways or check with your host to see what needs to be entered for the remote folder.

That's really all that needs to be setup for this to work. Let me know what parts are different on the free version for setup and I'll see if I can walk you through if the above information doesn't help.
User 43784 Photo

10 posts

Thanks, JoAnn, all you said sounds very familiar and I've dealt with it for years. I just can't get to it in this application.

Actually, I've used WS_ftp for many years, but I'm on vacation now and I guess I never did put it on my laptop.

If I can't get it working, I guess I can live without uploading anything for a week or so. There's more than one way to skin a cat (smile).
Regards,

Jim
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

I hear that Jim,

So exactly what part is giving you issues? It must be something you're not familiar with maybe? Can you take a screen shot of the server screen so I can see what it looks like? I'm assuming it's different, but I've talked a few people through getting servers setup via the phone and they didn't have any issues with it when I was telling them what to look for so I'm assuming it's pretty close to the same. I would like to help, but I need to know where the problem lies to do so :)
User 43784 Photo

10 posts

What's giving me the issues? Direct FTP (smile).

I'd be happy to include a screen shot of the problem area, but it would just be a shot of the first screen. Ok, I'll attach a couple pictures. If I could just get to that screen shown on page 8, I could configure it.

The ONLY place I can enter anything is if I click on TERMINAL for the PuTTY connection, which I didn't read anything about.

I did find WS_ftp on a portal drive and was able to upload a couple pics I needed.

However, I just hate to not be able to get something to work that seems so simple. So, I do want to continue with the Coffee app.

Thanks a lot!
Attachments:
Regards,

Jim
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

desetjim wrote:
What's giving me the issues? Direct FTP (smile).

I'd be happy to include a screen shot of the problem area, but it would just be a shot of the first screen. Ok, I'll attach a couple pictures. If I could just get to that screen shown on page 8, I could configure it.

The ONLY place I can enter anything is if I click on TERMINAL for the PuTTY connection, which I didn't read anything about.

I did find WS_ftp on a portal drive and was able to upload a couple pics I needed.

However, I just hate to not be able to get something to work that seems so simple. So, I do want to continue with the Coffee app.

Thanks a lot!

You are configuring an S-Drive connection there. All you need to do is click the GREEN + sign and here you enter your FTP information. The BLACK GEAR icon is used for S-Drive.

Pretty simple right? :)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 43784 Photo

10 posts

I downloaded a trial for the "Paid" version and got a little further. I can connect, but can't get to where I need to be. I get this error:

"There was a problem connecting to your host or proxy. Please check your server settings and try again. If you are sure you have entered the correct information, please contact your network administrator or the server administrator. [7] Additional information: couldn't connect to host"

So..........it's my problem now with the configuration, but I'll get it sooner or later. Probably something to do with the type of connection.

Thanks for all the help. If there is more coming, I'll appreciate that also..

Regards,

Jim
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

desetjim wrote:
I downloaded a trial for the "Paid" version and got a little further. I can connect, but can't get to where I need to be. I get this error:

"There was a problem connecting to your host or proxy. Please check your server settings and try again. If you are sure you have entered the correct information, please contact your network administrator or the server administrator. [7] Additional information: couldn't connect to host"

So..........it's my problem now with the configuration, but I'll get it sooner or later. Probably something to do with the type of connection.

Thanks for all the help. If there is more coming, I'll appreciate that also..

Try toggling the Passive mode setting on or off and see if that helps.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.