Direct FTP and PDF attachments - Post...

User 597929 Photo

1,332 posts

An example of when I had to use the add files feature is a graphic banner on my home page. It's called from within an HTML placeholder because it's wrapped as a link to go somewhere. VSD won't find and upload that graphic on its own, it has to be explicitly added so it uploads along with the rest of the site. It ended up in the root folder.

I've never used the "link to document" feature of VSD so I didn't know whether it's supposed to automatically add those documents to the upload. In either case, if you're manually uploading the site (instead of doing it through VSD) don't you have to make sure you include those files in your upload?
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinland.biz
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

No really the way you just explained it Spinny you are correct, Please I don't mean anything by contradicting you, but every time I've embedded a file I had to use the add files, but when linking to file locally, it copies that file and places it into the download folder which is located in the files folder. so no need to use the add files, and it should be linked accordingly in VSD whether you use internal or external ftp. :D

User 597929 Photo

1,332 posts

No prob, Bruzer! Just trying to get to the root cause of why his pdf documents don't seem to end up where he expects them.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

User 497816 Photo

15 posts

Thanks so much for your help but I'm getting a bit lost and would really appreciate some more coaching on this...

I ended up removing the published website so I could start again.

In VSD I used settings>add files to select the three pdf documents I want to link to. One thing I wasn't sure about was whether I needed to actually create new folders with the right names on the right hand side of the box? I did and the folders looked like this:

Root
name_of_my_website.com

Then I selected the text in the text box for the link and clicked on the link tool. I browsed to the files from my hard drive. But when I clicked on 'save' I got the same message about needing to properly embed the files.

I'm not sure what it means to 'properly embed a file'....

What am I doing wrong?! :(
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

Hi Ian,
Here's what you can do, first no folders are needed, delete them out of VSD and off your server if you uploaded them and unless your using them for something else. Secondly go to settings>remove files and you can also remove the 3 pdf files. click ok. now we'll start fresh!
for text links you would double click on the text til there is a red border around it, then highlight the text which will enable the text to be converted to a link, now click on the link tab at the top, a window will pop up there you click on "link to a document" and locate the pdf file on your computer where ever that may be. After you selected that pdf file that window should have a box with a checkmark in the use link and link to document radio buttons, if it does click ok to close it, don't worry about the target window we'll leave that on default.
now click on save and that's it, so now when you upload your website the pdf file will automatically be copied to a folder located in the files folder called Download. I hope I explained that for you so you can understand it, if not.
http://www.kellyinfo.com/web/x.avi

User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

I couldn't have said it better myself Bruzer ;)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

thanks boss! :)

User 597929 Photo

1,332 posts

You da man! :cool:

User 497816 Photo

15 posts

A belated thank you for helping me sort out my problem with this. I followed the advice and it worked like magic!

Thanks again. :)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.