Direct ftp and GoDaddy - Post ID 126026

User 970 Photo

25 posts

I am using the newly released Direct ftp and I have a GoDaddy hosting account.

I also downloaded 3 different ftp clients. They are trials. They all immediately connect with no problem.

Direct ftp does not. Passive mode is not enabled. I am using the ftp protocol (no security). I am sure the domain is correct (no www.) I am sure the password is correct.

My firewall (Norton 360) trusts coffecup direct ftp.

Any advice as to what is going wrong here? I cannot get any connection.

My error message is as follows:

Sorry, the action you are trying to complete has timed out. [28] Additional information: server response timeout.
Server has replied: [500] I won't open a connection to 192.168.1.5 (only to 68.72.129.91).

Please let me know as I am not using a free ftp client which works fine, instead of the one I paid for.

Any insight would be great.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

I connect with Godaddy all the time with Direct FTP and have never had any problems here. I do have Passive mode enabled though. I would probably say it has something to do with Norton 360. I swear that program act more like a virus if you ask me ;) I don't think disabling it for a test will work because the only way I have found to get rid of that program is to do a full format.

Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 192897 Photo

325 posts

Scott Swedorski wrote:
I connect with Godaddy all the time with Direct FTP and have never had any problems here. I do have Passive mode enabled though. I would probably say it has something to do with Norton 360. I swear that program act more like a virus if you ask me ;) I don't think disabling it for a test will work because the only way I have found to get rid of that program is to do a full format.

I also use godaddy with no problems or issues. Norton could be a problem but you dont have to do a full format. Go to the norton site and they have a special removal tool that really works well. Cleans up all the garbage.....
There is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress. MARK TWAIN

www.juliekushner.com
www.beercoastermania.com
www.phi-scsc.com
User 3004957 Photo

851 posts

I agree. Norton could be the problem, but since all the other FTP clients work with it and DFTP is 'trusted' by it, it shouldn't have any affect on connections. Telling a paying customer to uninstall one piece of software to get your own program to run properly is not the best workaround I have heard, and from such a respected person within such a respected company. Everyone has their own preferences for software and while I don't particularly like Norton software either, I have to admit some aspects of the latest 360 and AV software are quite good, with the latest builds showing a considerable improvement over earlier versions. If any of my computer repair company clients have paid for it, or have an active subscription for it, I am very hesitant to advise them to remove it from their machine, unless I can show categorically that it is causing them problems. Otherwise I advise them to try AVG or one of the other freeware offerings before renewing their subscription to see if that is going to work for them.

While the Norton removal tool does remove files and registry entries, it does it in a rather 'dirty' way; where possible the software should be uninstalled using its own uninstall link or via the Add/Remove (or Programs) applet in the control panel as this correctly restores previous settings with the firewall and security centre, stops and removes services properly, de-registers relevant dlls and other controls and generally tidies up. I accept it usually doesn't tidy up completely, (especially earlier versions, which often left huge amounts of junk behind, while the latest versions leave only registration data) which is where running the removal tool will help, but only after an uninstallation has been attempted.

Having said all that, the 192.168.1.5 I.P. address seems to be a proxy/loopback of some kind, which could possibly be Norton inserting itself between the server and the client and not relaying properly, but as far as I know you can disable Norton protection by right-clicking on the tray icon and choosing to disable auto-protection. You are then asked for how long you wish to disable it. Try it and see if DirectFTP connects then. If it doesn't, then something else is in the way. Passive mode should be enabled for maximum compatibility (I have yet to use an FTP server that doesn't like it enabled) and I would look at any other resident/running processes (like network monitors, firewalls, connection managers etc.) that could possibly be causing the connection to slow down enough to cause a timeout.

My 2 cents.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.