Can't sign into ftp - Post ID 237585

User 23638 Photo

30 posts

I have the current version of Direct FTP installed on two desktop computers. I recently changed my password and now it works on only one computer, when in the old password worked on both computers. Both computers use win7.
User 10077 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,095 posts

You changed your windows password? Server password? What password did you change?

And, do you mean that DFTP will not work at all for one of the computers?
ASK ME ANYTHING
I provide personalized help for Coffeecup Users including training for Site Designer and Web Form Builder via Zoom.
Email me at support@usconsumernet.org or call 865-687-7698.

Did you know that Web Form Builder can be used for both simple and complicated forms and that it's not limited to the default fonts and buttons? Take a look at a form we developed for WindowTinting.com.
https://forms.windowtinting.com/forms/w … ppingcart/
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts

What do you mean by 'not working'? Does the programme open at all? Or is it the server connection (implying that the server password was changed) that doesn't work? Have you got other server connections, and do they work?

If my hunch is right, try deleting the connection and set it up again. Before you delete, make a note of all the settings.

Or another way: Close DFTP. Go to the computer where everything does work. Find the file SharedSettings in c:\users\your user name\AppData\Roaming. Copy that file and save it to the same location on the other computer. Then reopen DFTP.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 23638 Photo

30 posts

The DFTP password doesn't work on one computer but does work on another computer.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Michael Johnston wrote:
The DFTP password doesn't work on one computer but does work on another computer.
That sounds to me like you are not using the same password then on both systems. You can verify this by deleting both profiles on both computers and the re-add them with the password you think is correct.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 23638 Photo

30 posts

You have to enter a Master Password to get into DFTP. When a Master Password doesn't work you cannot get into the program. So, when an incorrect password is entered, the DFTP Master Password Pop-Up closes and exits. I changed the Master Password. And again, it (Passwoed) works on one computer but not on another.
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Michael Johnston wrote:
You have to enter a Master Password to get into DFTP. When a Master Password doesn't work you cannot get into the program. So, when an incorrect password is entered, the DFTP Master Password Pop-Up closes and exits. I changed the Master Password. And again, it (Passwoed) works on one computer but not on another.

Sounds like you made a mess of something there. ;)

It sounds like the FTP database has gotten corrupted. What you will need to do is delete the internal database so that you can start fresh again. This should fix you up. Here is where you can locate the database:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings[username]\Application Data\SharedSettings.ccs
Windows 8/7 & Vista: C:\Users[username]AppData\Roaming\SharedSettings.ccs

Just delete that file and restart DFTP and add the profiles back again.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

Make sure you have admin rights on the computer that's not working. Right-click the icon and select 'Run as Administrator'.

Just a thought . . .
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com
User 23638 Photo

30 posts

Scott,

I have my passwords saved to an excel spreadsheet (which I keep on an external USB HDD-which is backed up on Carbonite). I copy the passwords from the spreadsheet and paste them into the Master Password field of DFTP to ensure that I am using the same password on both computers. This is what I did before I changed the passwords and it worked flawlessly. Now the new password will only work on one computer.
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Michael Johnston wrote:
Scott,

I have my passwords saved to an excel spreadsheet (which I keep on an external USB HDD-which is backed up on Carbonite). I copy the passwords from the spreadsheet and paste them into the Master Password field of DFTP to ensure that I am using the same password on both computers. This is what I did before I changed the passwords and it worked flawlessly. Now the new password will only work on one computer.

Did you follow my suggestions Michael? That is what you need to do.

You should also use LockBox to store your passwords. That is much easier then a spreadsheet and it works on a USB drive.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.