Cannot connect to sites "Failed to do...

User 487088 Photo

8 posts

Downloaded and installed DirectFTP version 6.6 build 1548 on my Windows Vista system (32 bits).
When connecting to my websites I get the error message shown below. I have 3 different providers for 4 different websites. It is not possible to login to any of the sites.

Using an alternative FTP program, I have no problems.

The passwords are correct, I can use them also for my webmail

Removing the FIrewall does not solve the issue either

Does anyone have this same problem and solve this ?

Thank you in advance

The PORT command returned an error on your server. This could mean the connection has been dropped or is hung up on the host's end. Disconnect and try reconnecting. [30] Additional information: Failed to do PORT.
Server has replied: [500] Illegal PORT command.
Harald WItmer
Haraldino Gelato

www.haraldinogelato.nl
User 3004957 Photo

851 posts

I would submit a support ticket to Coffeecup over this. I haven't heard of anyone having this issue; port commands are usually automatic and done when the client is connecting and 'handshaking' with the server. It is strange to have it occur on all your servers. They will probably want to know what those servers are, what software you have installed (like anti-virus and ad-blocking software) or any other connection-related information (proxy servers, connection managers etc.).
Something is obviously breaking connectivity and I'm thinking it must be local or there would be hundred of people reporting the same thing. That said, why would other FTP software work? It's a mystery.

Dave.
User 418470 Photo

101 posts

FWIW, I had that same error as well as login denied errors, RDIR errors, & maximum (8) concurrent connections errors. It was frequent & random.

I use Startlogic to host 2 domains and that turned out to be a huge part of my problem... maybe not this issue but if it helps;

When Startlogic upgraded their servers they changed my primary domain to the sub-domain. I replaced the primary domain and DFTP now works. (however lots of other stuff on-site quit working & I had to learn about flushing databases and modifying php.ini :o )
I should have something clever to say... but I don't.
newurbanpantry.com https://www.newurbanpantry.com
frankelmo.com http://www.frankelmo.com
User 471300 Photo

1 post

I'm getting this same error message after using the program successfully for quite a while. It started happening all of a sudden and now won't let me connect to any of my servers for my sites. Did you ever get a solution for this problem? I would love to know how to get past this.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.