Can't add files "edit / add files" -...

User 373435 Photo

114 posts

Forgive me, I know that there are posts about this out here already (they are a couple of years old) I have read them, tried uninstalling VSD & reinstalling, but I go to add folders / files & it doesn't keep them. I have checked to see if they are there in the "remove" files & they are not. So for what ever reason the files don't want to stay. Have no idea why, but I need to add them to my VSD website. Getting very frustrated. Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry, VSD version 7 bld 26
User 2484360 Photo

3,293 posts

Hey Robin,

Can you provide a screenshot of the Add Files window?

To create a screenshot, you can use the MS Paint program, which should be under Programs > Accessories. Next, navigate to the CoffeeCup program, then press the PRNT SCREEN button on your keyboard. (It's found above the Insert button.) Then return to your Paint program, go to the Edit menu, and choose Paste. This will place the screenshot in the Paint document. Next, save the file (save as .jpg) and attach it to your reply.

Please do not place this in a Word Document. ;)
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

One thing to keep in mind Robin, is that you cannot ADD an empty folder. If you create a folder using the Edit/Add Files option, then put at least 1 file in that folder BEFORE you close the window or it will not save.
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com
User 373435 Photo

114 posts

Hi Adam,

Here you go.

Adam East wrote:
Hey Robin,

Can you provide a screenshot of the Add Files window?

To create a screenshot, you can use the MS Paint program, which should be under Programs > Accessories. Next, navigate to the CoffeeCup program, then press the PRNT SCREEN button on your keyboard. (It's found above the Insert button.) Then return to your Paint program, go to the Edit menu, and choose Paste. This will place the screenshot in the Paint document. Next, save the file (save as .jpg) and attach it to your reply.

Please do not place this in a Word Document. ;)
Attachments:
User 2484360 Photo

3,293 posts

Robin Lemmon wrote:
Hi Adam,

Here you go.

Have you uploaded the website to see if the files are uploaded along with it?
User 373435 Photo

114 posts

I have uploaded the web site through VSD. But had to upload some of the files through FTP.

Maybe I'm confused. When you add the html in VSD & it says "add the files" to your web site (something to that effect). Do I actually have to add the files in VSD of just make sure they are out on my server?

Adam East wrote:
Robin Lemmon wrote:
Hi Adam,

Here you go.

User 2484360 Photo

3,293 posts

Robin Lemmon wrote:
I have uploaded the web site through VSD. But had to upload some of the files through FTP.

Maybe I'm confused. When you add the html in VSD & it says "add the files" to your web site (something to that effect). Do I actually have to add the files in VSD of just make sure they are out on my server?

Adam East wrote:
Robin Lemmon wrote:
Hi Adam,

Here you go.

No, if the files are already uploaded they do not need to be placed in VSD. This is only if you do not want to upload the files via FTP.

User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

Robin, you should add any files you're using to VSD before upload. That way VSD "knows" to include those files in your live site even after other edits and new uploads. If you add them through an outside FTP and later make some changes and reupload the site, you'll have to go back and FTP those files again.

What are trying to add to the site? Does it have some javascript or jquery files with it? If so, you'll probably need 3 things:
-the HTML box for your menu
-a folder that contains the javascript
-and the item's js/jquery script added to the site head

A link to the page might help :)

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
https://www.callendales.com
User 373435 Photo

114 posts

Paintbrush,

I am trying to get back to where I was originally. Long story short, I added a menu that after some advise from Adam (he's so smart) I got to work. I then wanted to add another menu to one of the pages. I didn't like the way it looked, so I deleted it. Ever since then my main menu isn't displaying the way I want it. I corrected the "header" & html code (put back the original code) but it still won't display correctly. This is where the add files comes in. I removed all the files from VSD & tried to re-add them. They wouldn't save. That's why I uploaded them using FTP. (but my menu still does not display like it should) http://www.midwestthermal.com/temp/ It should go across the top with buttons.

paintbrush wrote:
Robin, you should add any files you're using to VSD before upload. That way VSD "knows" to include those files in your live site even after other edits and new uploads. If you add them through an outside FTP and later make some changes and reupload the site, you'll have to go back and FTP those files again.

What are trying to add to the site? Does it have some javascript or jquery files with it? If so, you'll probably need 3 things:
-the HTML box for your menu
-a folder that contains the javascript
-and the item's js/jquery script added to the site head

A link to the page might help :)

User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

The menu is not displaying because you forgot to upload the menu files. All of these are missing:

<link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' href ='new_menu/stylesheets/menu_builder.css'/>
<link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' href ='new_menu/stylesheets/style.css'/>
<script type="text/javascript" src="new_menu/js/jquery-1.8.2.min.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="new_menu/js/modernizr-2.6.2-respond-1.1.0.min.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="new_menu/js/tinynav.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="new_menu/js/mb.js"></script>
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.