Positioning and pricing - Post ID 265370

User 2792467 Photo

161 posts

I am a bit confused about the product positioning and pricing for RSD, FF and BS builder.

As far as I can see, the products are basically the same responsive design tool, addressing different frameworks: CoffeeCup framework, Foundation and Bootstrap. The design tool slightly customized in order to address the differences / options in the backend framework.

Pricing: $189, $79 and $49 (for beta) respectively.

This of course raises questions about pricing and product positioning.
Wouldn't it be more logical to have one responsive design tool with multiple - optional - connectors to different frameworks and have pricetags for each? And why not add multiple connectors as plug-ins to the design tool and decide per project which framework to use?
It seems that development focus is moving to new betas while RSD buyers sponsor FF and BB.

Do we really need to buy 3 (or more) products that are - at least form a users point of view - largely similar, if only we wish to target another framework? And now I have to buy BB in order to get RSD V2 for free?

I really love RSD (and FF) but are confused about the direction CoffeeCup is moving to.

Eindhoven :: Netherlands

It's easy to see, once you see it.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

These questions have already been addressed in other forums discussions.

http://www.coffeecup.com/forums/the-bre … ness-stop/
http://www.coffeecup.com/forums/bootstr … need-this/
http://www.coffeecup.com/forums/bootstr … framework/

Do we really need to buy 3 (or more) products that are - at least form a users point of view - largely similar, if only we wish to target another framework? And now I have to buy BB in order to get RSD V2 for free?

No, you do not have to purchase it. You can just buy version 2 outright when it is available (there will be a fee). Our customers that bought Foundation and Bootstrap are just being given RSD 2.0 for free as they graciously supported us during these beta cycles and it is our way of thanking them for their dedication and hard work.

As it has been said time and time again, RSD 2.0 will have a ton of new features and enhancements (over 100+ and counting) and one of which will have the ability to in some way to work with Foundation Framer or Bootstrap project files. But that is way down the road. We have to master these first before we can consider merging them all together.

More information on that will be made available as we get closer to the release. Just hang on.... ;)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 38185 Photo

Ambassador
25 posts

I would imagine designing an app to handle a css & javascript framework and all of its intricacies is probably tougher than most folks realize. The tool is similar across the three platforms. The code to handle the frameworks most assuredly is not.

As someone who has used Foundation, Bootstrap and other frameworks outside of a visual designer (hand-coding), I know the time involved in learning, adapting to and using a framework. Obviously the folks designing RSD, FF & BS need to make money from their efforts and to fund development costs. I'm sure we can all agree on that. And when you consider that $300 pays for three very stable and functional design toolsets that you can use and get free updates for 2-4 (or more) years during their development cycle, we're getting a pretty decent bargain.
User 333213 Photo

115 posts

How do you buy the Bootstrap Beta? I received the email invite & clicked on the "Join Beta" button which took me to a page wher I chose to purchase Beta for $49 then it just asked me for my email address (which I entered) and gave me no option to purchase.
10% of fishermen catch 90% of the fish.... then they release them for another day.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Andy Ho wrote:
How do you buy the Bootstrap Beta? I received the email invite & clicked on the "Join Beta" button which took me to a page wher I chose to purchase Beta for $49 then it just asked me for my email address (which I entered) and gave me no option to purchase.

Sorry, you missed out! The first round of the Bootstrap beta closed yesterday as we only opened it for a limited number of users. We will in the upcoming weeks offer more users the chance to get the beta but you need to make sure to act quickly next time as the copies go FAST! :)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 333213 Photo

115 posts

thanks for the reply Scott. Will try to act faster next time.
10% of fishermen catch 90% of the fish.... then they release them for another day.
User 2480440 Photo

2 posts

Andy Ho wrote:

Don't lose hope Andy. I missed out on the first invite too (and I signed up within 20 min of receiving my invite), but I received a second e-mail invite just now and got in. Woo hoo! Thanks CC, I'll be installing and begin playing with it this afternoon. Super excited as I use Bootstrap more than Foundation, can't wait for RSD v2.
User 232214 Photo

COO
827 posts

Gregory wrote:
Andy Ho wrote:

Don't lose hope Andy. I missed out on the first invite too (and I signed up within 20 min of receiving my invite), but I received a second e-mail invite just now and got in. Woo hoo! Thanks CC, I'll be installing and begin playing with it this afternoon. Super excited as I use Bootstrap more than Foundation, can't wait for RSD v2.

Awesome Gregory, can't wait to learn what you think! :cool:

Everybody, under the Help menu you can find a 'Rate this app' option. You can use that to give feedback too if you rather not post in the forms. (But we prefer you do both...:P)
The future of web layout has arrived and it's called CSS Grid. CoffeeCup helps you to get ready with a free guide, the Grid Builder app plus cool demos & themes.
User 333213 Photo

115 posts

Yea!!! I am now the new owner of Bootstrap Beta! Received my 2nd invite today & purchased as soon as I got off work... Yea! Thanks guys.
Love Bootstrap as well as Foundation. I have both betas now & planning to play with this weekend.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.