BB 2.5 - Difference between Bootstrap...

User 515049 Photo

35 posts

Just upgraded to BB2.5 - a few questions:

1- is Bootstrap 4 framework a fully released version?
2 - does BB2.5 fully support v4?

I guess I'm wondering what the pros and cons are - since when you open BB, it asks which version of the framework you want to use...

Any input appreciated.
User 244626 Photo

811 posts

Dave wrote:
Just upgraded to BB2.5 - a few questions:

1- is Bootstrap 4 framework a fully released version?
2 - does BB2.5 fully support v4?

I guess I'm wondering what the pros and cons are - since when you open BB, it asks which version of the framework you want to use...

Any input appreciated.

Yes, I would say Bootstrap 4 framework is a fully released version now. According to the Bootstrap 4 website, they just released in August Bootstrap 4 Beta which means "they are done breaking things". So now we are all waiting patiently for CC to make the last update on Bootstrap Builder from Bootstrap 4 Alpha 5 to Bootstrap 4 Beta. And CC has been at the forefront of leading support for these new frameworks, Bootstrap 4, Foundation 6, and now even CSS Grid.

As far as Pros and Cons between Bootstrap 3 and Bootstrap 4....

Bootstrap 3 was released in August of 2013 so its been out there and there is a lot of code examples to search on. When Bootstrap Builder was released I learned a "ton" of stuff from using Bootstrap 3. I built a carousel, navbar menu, etc etc just from examples out on the net. When Bootstrap 4 was released for testing I opened my Bootstrap 3 carousel in 4 and it stopped working. This is because Bootstrap 4 has reduced the amount of code and classes used to design the components. I redesigned everything in 4 code however everything was still in flux with Bootstrap 4 testing and CC going through its own growing pains with Bootstrap Builder. I kinda left it lie and went back to Foundation Framer as it too was going through exciting improvements with the new Foundation 6 release. I will say though Foundation 6 seems to be getting a little complicated in the code with some things still breaking and some settings not being accessable any longer with or without inline css editing and it appears Bootstrap 4 has kept everything simple so I am going to give it one more shot at looking at Bootstrap 4....as soon as CC makes the final update. I think a lot of developers will start smathering the net with new examples now that Bootstrap 4 is stable....and there are already some pretty awesome things out there.

I would love to hear what others think.....

Bootstrap 5 CSS Grid.
User 2287960 Photo

Ambassador
580 posts

Bootstrap 4 is a beta and as such should not be used on a live site.

Keith

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.