z-index of an embedded object - Post...

User 456980 Photo

81 posts

I know I have asked this question before, but did not come up with an answer that worked...
I rearranged the page at that time to eliminate the problem, but have run up against it again, so i guess I will have to try to solve it.
My DHTML menu (yes, same menu) is on the same page as an embedded object, a slideshow linked in from picasa. Where the menu opens and the embedded object overlap, the menu invariably goes behind the object.
I have put both the menu and the object in spans (not on the version online, but on my computer) and that does not work: the slideshow obeys the other span commands, but not the z-index. the menu span has a z-index of 106, while the embedded object is 102. no go.
I also tried a div instead of a span, just to see, but no luck.
Is there any way to move that embedded object behind my menu?!?!
by the way, i did build this menu with the latest version of coffeecup's free menu builder.
-MK
http://southpacificfamily.org/testingonline
I work on my computer mainly for the purpose of working on my computer.
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

MK,

What embedded object are you working with? (Photo Gallery?)

I will see if I can create a test page with the photo gallery and the menu and see if I can: First replicate the problem, then if I can, Second see if I can get it fixed.
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

MK,

Look at this page http://www.roberson-family.com/ccphotos/phototest.php and notice that there is but one down arrow on the menu, and that is for the Photo Gallery. If you hover over that entry, you will see that the menu is on top.

I started with the drop down menu hiding behind the photo gallery on this page, and then I did some research.

Adding this small bit of code is what fixed things for me: so.addParam("wmode","opaque");

Now in the middle of a long line of code, I have this:

so.addParam("wmode","opaque"); so.addParam("classid",

All I did was insert the code in front of the so.addParam("classid"

Hope this helps.
User 456980 Photo

81 posts

Ok, I am working with an embedded flash object, it the picasa slideshow on my homepage. I think that flash is where my problem lies, as I have searched the internet and have found that it seems all flash objects automatically are forced to the front.
There are a few fixes, such as wmode (which does work with mine), but they are browser-specific and nothing fixes the problem in all browsers, and wmode messes the positioning up in firefox.
I never thought that the fact that my embedded object was flash would make a difference!
I guess the only sure way to fix this really is to arrange my page so the DHTML menu and the flash object do not overlapp! amazing.
Thanks for your help, billr. My DHTML menu would have been abandoned long long ago if it wasn't for the Coffeecup forum!
-MK
I work on my computer mainly for the purpose of working on my computer.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.