Web Design for Mac users - Post ID 26335

User 19266 Photo

1 post

I am currently working on an auto run CD for a band's Electronic Press Kit it has videos, music player, flash intro, information pages ect. and works fine for windows users but will not play on Mac. I know Mac doesn't have autorun in the OS so auto run is pretty much out, my questions are what file formats do I need to use for Mac users for videos & music files and is it possible to male a cd that includes both formats for a user to select from for viewing. I was wondering if I put the wmv files in a flash and created a .swf file if that would work with the videos, but the page files have me stumped, do they need to be in another format other than html. Any help or thoughts, suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I'm at a dead end
Thanks in advance
User 133269 Photo

2,900 posts

Hi Kathy

Not having much to do with macs I wouldnt be sure but...

they do browse on the normal web yes? so therefore i cant see a problem with feeding them normal html pages at least... Fingers crossed someone will be a bit more helpful with the rest than i am for you...
Have fun
~ Fe Pixie ~
User 95186 Photo

Ambassador
163 posts

Hi Kathy,

I am sure Fe Pixie is correct about the HTML files - doubt they will need to be in any other format. It may be better to use mp3's for your sound files. To create autorun cd's for both Mac and PC, Roxio do some software that has this option (Toast Titanium - http://www.roxio.com/en/products/toast/index.jhtml), although quite pricy! It might be worth looking into the AutoStart facility in Mac... read somewhere that this was their version of Autorun!?

Regards,

Simon
User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

Fe Pixie wrote:
Hi Kathy

Not having much to do with macs I wouldnt be sure but...

they do browse on the normal web yes? so therefore i cant see a problem with feeding them normal html pages at least... Fingers crossed someone will be a bit more helpful with the rest than i am for you...

Not a Mac user, but HTML is the basic language for creating web content so that is not the problem.
I recently helped someone with some bits and pieces on a Mac, and he had to show me a cd which contained a PowerPoint presentation. That worked well so I suppose you could present your material that way.
Janys :)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.