Sending Mail from a web form - Post...

User 488254 Photo

Trial User
7 posts

Can someone give me an explanation of the differences for sending mail from a web form on PHP and ASP? I am a novice and just learning all this. DO I need to reference a smtp server somewhere in my HTML code?
Thanks for any help...
User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

Typically, ASP is used on web host servers running on Windows, and PHP is used on Linux servers. However, PHP can be run on Windows servers as well. Web Form Builder has a section in the settings to add the smtp server setting when using ASP, but PHP will look at the host server for the necessary info. There may or may not be some editing of a php.ini file on the host server, but we can help out later if you get to that point. ;)
User 488254 Photo

Trial User
7 posts

Thanks Adam. Can you tell me more? Where does the web from builder put the smtp settings, right in the page code?
User 488254 Photo

Trial User
7 posts

Frustrated. At work, we have a Windows network that our IT group just mapped a Linux (LAMP) box to so that we can create PHP>MySQL apps. I created a simple survey form using form builder and uploaded it to the server. Filled out the form, everything seemed to work- but I never got an email with the form results. I took the same exact form and uploaded it to our off site host and tested it. It worked fine AND I got the email quickly. What do I need to do, or tell them to do, to our in-house server? They mentioned that I needed to do something in the form itself but I obviously don't since the same form worked fine on the other host. Thanks for any assistance on this...

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.