RSD Suggestions - Post ID 239881

User 1852880 Photo

27 posts

I would like to see a couple of things on the Site Designer software when it comes out.

1. A conditional load feature instead of just hiding elements (side columns, pictures, big headers for desktop, etc.). You have a speed and bandwidth problem with small devices when things load that are not seen - a waste of time and resources.

2. A "template" ability to easily update common features. Unless I am missing something, if you use the software to build a RLM site, then add MenuMaker (copy-paste), you have a good start. And I understand that this is a serial process - build the look and responsive capability, create the logic of your menus, then build the individual pages.

But the reality for me was I changed some look and menu items multiple times after creating the site as I saw things I liked or didn't. I believe those updates would require copy-paste on EACH page to make a change. Almost impossible to not screw up with 30 or 40 pages. (Is there a shortcut way to update common features/code on multiple pages - am I missing something?)

My work-around was to load up my Software - dated software that I believe is free to download now. The only part I used was the coding of zones - where some parts of the page are common to all, and other parts are unique to that page. You add the comments to the RLM design and save that as a template, then create pages within my software, linked to that template. Then you can use the template to load the menus (common) and update only those portions by a couple of clicks, not disturbing the page specific content. It worked wonders for finishing my site of 35 pages, but I'd like to see something similar built into Site Designer rather than using 3rd party, non supported software.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.