Need GoDaddy information - Post ID 1239

User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

If anyone has any GoDaddy experience, I would like some information.

I expect to be taking over the programming and maintenance for a website that is hosted on GoDaddy.

Right now, I have no idea if the site is on a Linux server or a Windows server, but hope to find out shortly after they give me specifics such as FTP user and password.

The current site was built using MS Publisher, and you can see the text boxes before the actual filler loads. The page is 169KB in size.

The home page is named welcome.html. Is this a normal way to name a home page on GoDaddy, or does this load only because it is the only html page in the root directory?

Are there any specifics I need to know about FTP access? i.e. will I need add anything to Direct FTP other than the domain name, user name, and password?

Any words of advice on dealing with GoDaddy?
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

hi bill,
the welcome is the root which comes with the site, index.html is home.
sorry got ahead of myself.
ftp=domain.com
user=***
pass=***
www= blank
is how I have my windows server through godaddy

User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Bruce,

Thanks. The FTP information sounds like it will be just like everything else I have done thus far.

It sounds like you are saying GoDaddy provides a welcome.html as a start page, or is it their way of welcoming new sites?

Can I remove the welcome.html and just use index.html, or must I use welcome.html as the home page?
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

Bill it is a welcome starter page that gets replaced with your index.html if chosen to.

User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Bruce,

That makes sense. Thank you.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.