Need DB Advice - Post ID 266681

User 47216 Photo

205 posts

Not really CC Related but I have always found that the people here in this forum are knowledgeable and willing to help. I have a database issue that I need some advice on...

I am completely database illiterate. I needed a database built for my fire department website and I went with the site "Freelancer" to enlist someone to build it for me. They built it and it worked beautifully. Was able to have all members of department in there and allow sorting by name, start year, rank, station assigned to etc. They also created a password protected interface to access the control panel of the DB to enter and edit data

After about a week all of the data disappeared. Of course I did not have it backed up so i had to re-enter all the data for 120 people ! I got smart and backed it up. About a week later all data was gone again. I reached out to the freelancer that built it and they restored data (of course they asked for payment to do additional work) but I informed him the database is not working up to my expectations as it is dumping the data.

About 2-3 weeks went by with everything being well and yesterday the data was all lost again.

I reached out to the guy again and he requested root access in to my server (I have a VPS) and I obviously do not feel comfortable with providing access. I at first was worried this may be a little ploy of them dumping the data to get more work from me and get more money. I have changed the cpanel password after he logged in to design the DB but not sure if something shady is going on.

Can anyone provide input on what my next course of action should be to find out why the DB is losing its data?
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts

I guess someone here (of the advisors) may be able to build the DB for you, or show you how to do it. But just in case; maybe this was not some nasty ploy, then you should perhaps contact your hosting server and ask if there is a setting that erases the DB tables off and on. Personally I'm not good with databases, but if you don't get the necessary help here, I can put you in contact with someone (outside of CC) who knows all about this.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.