make your web images quick - Post ID...

User 150758 Photo

Trial User
1 post

If you want your web site to be successful it should be loaded quickly. Large graphics can prevent it. So you need swf compressor-decompressor to make your web images quick. It's very important. So if you need this utility you can find it on Dcomsoft
User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

So much depends on the images you create in the first place too, even before you get to putting them inside .swf files I believe. Ideally, the images you add to a web page shouldn't really exceed 80 - 90 Kb to make allowances for slower connections, and for your front page, even less than that so that your visitor doesn't have to hang around waiting to find out what the site is all about. A lot of small images is better than just a few big, fat ones - which is why it is a good idea to break your big fat images down with a slicer (and CC has one of those.)
It goes without saying that broad band connections can whiz stuff in a fraction of a second, but there are a surprising number of people around who are still not on broad band yet. Surfing the net should be a pleasure for them also, and surely you older afficionados can remember what it means to go and make a coffee whilst you wait for a page to download! Even worse if you are waiting for them to upload, one long drawn out file at a time!!!
Janys
User 51909 Photo

3,694 posts

Janys

I must say that when I first started to put together web sites, I was oh so careful to make sure that images were small and fast loading, and doubly sure that I preloaded any images that where linked as well. Oh, I remember 33.3 modems. They used to be superfast, I also remember having a 14.4 as well.

Now we have superfast connections - I am on 8 meg and wow - Porche of the internet connection kind. However, I have found myself catering more and more for fast connection web viewers rather than dial up users. My 8kb images have grown to 35kb and no longer do I use thumbnails but full blown Jpegs.

You have reminded me that we should try and cater for as many people as possible - we all deserve to have fun on the internet, and waiting around all day for images to load is no fun at all.
Mark Loves CoffeeCup
User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

Mark,
I compare what has been going on over here in Italy in recent years with what has apparently been happening in the States for instance. Certainly here there has been a vast increase in hard selling of broad band, but Italy has only been catching up in about the last 3 years.
I touched my first ever computer in 2000 and I don't recall any talk of fast connections then. In fact I am amazed that I kept up with the computer passion because I used to have to wait an eternity to do anything at all.
So yes, it would seem that there are still quite a few people around with slower connections who should also be able to enjoy internet, with our help! (And the help of CC of course!)
Janys
User 51909 Photo

3,694 posts

Janys

Here in the UK, we were stuck with 512 kb fro what seemed like an age, then came along 1 meg speeds. Wow, fast or what. Now with increases to 10 meg and beyond, everything has gone crazy. The upside to all this is super lightening fast downloads, just how many albums can I download in a 10 minute space????

However, there are people who live just 3 miles from me and geographically, they are unable to recieve BB. Until local telecom exchanges upgrade their equipment, they will never go beyong 56k.

So perhaps the industry should not be working on just how fast we can make BB, but just how quick we can get people of dial-up.
Mark Loves CoffeeCup
User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

Mark,
I believe that you are describing a situation which is very similar to the one here. I know when I applied for broad band I had to do a geographical check to see where the service reached.
We in Venice are probably "lucky" because of the university and a number of political institutions in the area.
Janys

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.