I need help troubleshooting my site...

User 123573 Photo

46 posts

I am in the process of a redesign and hope to go live with it by the first of the year.

http://besektechphoto.net

I used css, html, and php to pull the pages together. It reads fine in both IE7 and FF2.0. It's all jacked up in IE6 though. I don't have IE6 so I didn't know until a fellow photographer let me know. I have tried a couple things to trouble shoot it, but it's difficult since I can't see the error in my browsers.

There is a main container, and within that a left side and a right side.
In FF it shows properly, but in IE6 the right side is pushed below the left side. I thought it was the table that I had inserted into the right side to keep my text laid out properly especially on my pricing pages. SO I reduced the width of the table by 10px on the index page to test it out, but I am told it's still messed up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tracy
Tracy Besek
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Tracy,

Any reason why you are using tables? You have a single table with a single row with a single <td>, and then you close the all. That table code could be removed and things should work just the same.

I haven't checked with IE6, but having looked at your styles, I see that your container is 925PX, and the left and right <div>'s add up to 920px. IE6 has padding and margin bugs (you can google ie6 margin) and while there may be ways to hack those bugs, I haven't found any that work all the time. With the vertical scrollbar, and the two divisions, and the IE6 bug, you may find that you are exceeding the width of your container. For now, try reducing one of your divs, or increase the container width and have someone check the site with IE6.

I have recently downloaded but not installed a collection of IE's from 4.0 to 6, and hope to have a way to view using IE6 from my desktop. In the mean time, I am refusing the "upgrade" to IE7 on my laptop.

Let me know if this helps. I can use IE6 from work (IE7 is currently blocked by the database administrator).
User 123573 Photo

46 posts

billr wrote:
Tracy,

Any reason why you are using tables? You have a single table with a single row with a single <td>, and then you close the all. That table code could be removed and things should work just the same.

Let me know if this helps. I can use IE6 from work (IE7 is currently blocked by the database administrator).

honestly bill, I used the table because i was having issues with my margins. I couldn't get the margins to view correctly in IE6 vs FF...the text was running up against the div containers, and evertime i tried to add a margin, i got huge viewing issues. So it's a bit of cheating, but got the job done. The only page that I really NEED the table is my Investment page to keep all my pricing lined up and grouped how I want.

So if I increase the size of my main container you think I will resolve this issue?
Tracy Besek
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Tracy,

It looks like you have solved the IE6 issue. I just looked at your page using IE6 and FF. Both looked very much the same.

Another "problem" that I see is the lack of scroll bars on your site. If anyone using a resolution less that 1024x768 visits your site, they will not be able to see anything other than the top left section. At 800x600, I get down to about the baby waist. Using 1024x768, I still do not get to the bottom of the photo.

If you want to have the ability to view your sites using an assortment of IE versions, visit: http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE The various versions of IE have some issues, but seem to show just what the older versions will show.
User 123573 Photo

46 posts

Thanks Bill.
I found the conflict I had with overflow: hidden from when I took the html style for the flash gallery I am using and transferred it to my main linked stylesheet.
The scroll bar is fixed. Thanks for pointing that out.

I downloaded the MultiIE application and can now see IE6. That helps more than you can imagine. It's hard to troubleshoot when you can't even see the problem. I also loaded IE5.5. but I don't think many of my target market would be using that version anyway. I have never had it come up in my stats, but it will be interesting to see how it's viewed non the less.

The only issue I see in IE6 now is that IE6 doesn't support transparent .png files like my header. not a huge deal. WHen I get a chance I can just add a background on the same background color as my site body.

Thanks again, you have helped me ALOT in these little annoyance issues.

Let e know if anything else jumps out at you. Thanks.
Tracy Besek

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.