How to Prevent right-click copy of...

User 193638 Photo

557 posts

I have been to several websites in my time that I wanted to copy the photos on the site. But when you go to right-click and copy the photo a dialog box pops up and says "NO, copyrighted material, no copying".

Does anyone know how to accomplish this? Is there special software?

I am using SCCP and SCDP.

Thanks,
Steve
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

It really is a waste of time. All major browsers do not support this approach, it doesn't stop screen capture software, and it hinders accessibility.
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!
User 193638 Photo

557 posts

Uhmmm, never thought about screen capture software.
Well, thanks. I guess I will just make sure all my photos have watermarks on them.
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

Good to hear. JavaScript only works when JavaScript is enabled. IE can save everything on a page by selecting Webpage Complete. And Opera doesn't allow the web file to hijack the mouse keys. So it really is pointless. :)
User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

Steven. If you don't want images to be stolen, don't put them on line!!!
User 193638 Photo

557 posts

Janys,
It's not that simple. Stealing the image is not the issue for me.One of my products is a special form for keeping track of the progress of a Bonsai tree. I have struggled with even placing a picture of it on the internet because once seen, it is easily reproduced just by looking at. But if I want to sell the product, I have no choice. Putting a watermark on it is not even enough; you can still see the information on the form and can still reproduce it.

Catch-22, I guess.
User 539803 Photo

2,156 posts

Steven, this reminds me of the guy on ebay who sold an invisible elephant (no joke i followed it to the end, and he got paid)

It was sold on a bassis of a 100% money back guarantee if not totally satisfied when it arrived

I guess you are selling something that will be extremely usefull to bonsai tree growers if only they could either invent it themselves, or get their hands on one

30 years of retail on and off tells me two things

one :: people will buy it without seeing it if a theres a money back guarantee (assuming its not a fortune)

two :: you will sell one to someone who will then copy it and advertise it at half the price a week later !

I have even had a swine take a mould of of one of my handmade items that took hours and hours to produce, he replicated them in seconds.

BUT the mystic might be a very good selling point !
Started using CC VSD in January 2009, I don't do HTML code, Sales from CC site exceeding expectations taken me out of semi-retirement
Hosted FREE on CC S DRIVE www.chauffeurdrivenluxurycars.co.uk
My new VSD & SCCP site Oct 2011 www.deloreanjewellery.co.uk
My friendly window cleaner www.mwcwindowcleaner.co.uk

User 184085 Photo

Ambassador
1,707 posts

Steven, can you put an image up of the form, but blur out portions of it so they cannot read what is in the blur?

They get a portion of the info but not all.
Volunteering to help :)
http://www.tbaygeek.ca
My HTML play area
http://www.tbaygeek.ca/test/
User 131437 Photo

Ambassador
151 posts

One option that you could use is Flash it won't stop a screen capture but there will be no right-click and it doesn't print on most systems either. It also allows for you to show bits and pieces without revealing everything, with a little effort on your part. CoffeeCup's FireStarter works really well for this with the plus of adding some WOW to the site. Of course some new devices like the iPod/iPad and the new Nook have decided to not support Flash for reasons that I just can't quite understand.

Otherwise, for now you are stuck with javascript to disable the right mouse button but that can be annoying and by viewing the source they can still download the image.

Most people are relatively honest, unfortunately the annonomous nature of the internet seems to bring out the worst in some people. The best suggestion would be to file for U.S. copyright and if possible a U.S. patent. Then you could possibly recieve restitution if somebody pirates your work. Best of luck!
Visit <a href="http://leviabbott.com" target="_blank">LeviAbbott.com</a>!
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

http://www.flashprobe.com/

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.