GoDaddy Blues (aka Where to host my...

User 426726 Photo

8 posts

Reaching end of rope.
Having recently become disenchanted with DomainGuru.com because I could not get FormBuilder to send emails (SMTPauth prob), I have now moved on to GoDaddy. It's worse now. Explanation:

When I log in to my godaddy windows server using DirectFTP (or WSftpPRO), it drops me in not at root (\), but at a directory named after the userid (as in \bigal).
CC HTML editor saves everything in \www so when I upload, index.htm is nested in \bigal\www\index.htm and when I type "www.alhartkopf.com" it does not find my site. If I type in "www.alhartkopf.com\www" it resolves to my site (really index.html file, inside www folder, inside bigal folder). I am using CC HTML editor on another host server and not having this problem. I upload my www folder, type in the URL, and its ducky. (there are other problems with that hoster to be sure, but not this prob).

I have several clients that have put their site up on godaddy so I really need to figure out what to do to fix this and fix it right. I use a LOT of CC apps and they all assume the use of the www folder as 'home base'. This all looks like routing information that is configurable, but the GoDaddy folks a blowing me off and saying, "Your on a virtual server. If you want root access you need to buy a dedicated server." Nice. DomainGuru is a virtual server as well. GoDaddy also can't seem to grasp the concept of this directory structure as a configurable item, let alone tell me where to configure it. If someone on this site can help, that would be great. Absent that, what hosting company has anyone found where ALL CC apps work tickety-boo?
User 426726 Photo

8 posts

Also, WebFormBuilder is not sending email when hosted on GoDaddy and I get no indication why not. Anyone else using WebFormBuilder on GoDaddy and can lend some advice?
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

Hi BigAl,
I have Godaddy as well with no problems uploading. In fact here is how my connection looks in the ftp settings.
http://nic-nacs-plus.com/web/ylllekconnect.png
I just leave the www blank

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.