DHTML menu not showing.... - Post ID...

User 456980 Photo

81 posts

http://southpacificfamily.org/css%20test/fiji.html

there should be a DHTML menu across the top... any idea as to why it is not working?
I work on my computer mainly for the purpose of working on my computer.
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

MK,

When did the menu stop working?

A good rule to follow is when your page is working, make changes incrementally. If you want to add several things to a page, add one and test to see if everything is still working, then add the second thing. That way, you know what you added to stop something else from working.

If you don't know why the menu is not working, create a second page with just the menu code that calls the javascript, and see if the menu works. Then add something else from the original and see if that works.

One thing you can try immediately, is to remove the double code for the menu. The DHTML menu code should be in the body of your page, and not in the head of your page, and not called in both.
User 456980 Photo

81 posts

Thanks for the quick response, Bill. The fact than any of my menus work is a tribute to your good support here! :D

The menu on that page never worked, it is a new page testing the css and xhtml 1.0 transitional coding I am wanting to switch the website over to. The menu shows in the preview screen, but not in the "test in browser", and not in the browser once uploaded.
I added the double code on the chance that it might work... I have removed it here:
http://southpacificfamily.org/css%20test/png.html
and the menu still does not work.
I tried a page with just the menu on it, and again it previews correctly, but does not show in testing or in the browser once uploaded. It is here:
http://southpacificfamily.org/menu%20test.html

I think DHTML must have been sent by God to refine my patience!
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

MK,

Refining patience is something we all go through, and most want patience "RIGHT NOW!!!" but God works things His way.

I am home now, and will look closer at your site as soon as I finish a letter I need to turn in for class tomorrow.
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

MK,

I do not know the specific issue that causes the menu to know show on your test page, but I do have a solution.

Please download this self-extracting zip file. Inside the zip file are two files. One is a read-me that explains how to use the replacement DAT file. You should then be able to open your saved .mnu file and then save again. Use the newly generated code and the menu should be working.
User 456980 Photo

81 posts

Alright, I'll try that, thanks.

Indeed, and many times I have thought that surely I was fully refined...
only to find out that I was not even close!(usually the discovery is aided by the computer!) ... ah well, God is in control, so it's all ok.
User 1789371 Photo

1 post

This seems to have worked for me too. I was having some odd problems with the DHTML menu- sometimes it would appear, sometimes it wouldn't, in both IE and FF3. I couldn't find a reason or pattern. After the dhtml.dat fix, it seems to be consistent on my end. However, because of IE's suspicion of scripts, the menu doesn't appear on her computer.
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Adam,

You may want to consider changing your forum name to something other than your email address by clicking on the profile link at the top of the page.

I haven't had any problems with any recent version of IE displaying the DHTML menu. If you check the security settings, you may find that they are set higher than needed.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.