Biting off more than I can chew -...

User 29041 Photo

3 posts

Hi Everyone - I am really new at this so apologies for sounding like an eegit. I want to create a website with a drop down menu (this I can easily do) the tricky part is I want the items in the drop down menu to be linked to a database (preferably Access). I think this may be way beyond my reach but if anybody has ideas on how it can be done please let me know or also please let me know if it is something only an experienced programmer would do and should not be attempted by the faint-hearted and utterly clueless.
User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

Might need to be more specific as to how the database interacts. Will clicking on a menu choice pull up a page of info pulled from the database? Would anything be written to the database or only retrieved? Not that I know much of anything about this stuff (but want to). I'm sure it can be done. Might want to make sure beforehand though, that the hosting service you use for your site can even handle such a task (databases).
User 131437 Photo

Ambassador
151 posts

You might want to learn Java and brush up on your XML scripting skills. O'Reilly actually published a book in 2000 by Brett McLaughlin titled Java and XML that you might be interested in reading. Or you could discover the mysteries of MySQL.
I think that I would personally look for a programmer to help you, since you said you were faint of heart.
Visit <a href="http://leviabbott.com" target="_blank">LeviAbbott.com</a>!
User 29041 Photo

3 posts

Hi - my plan is to have a drop down menu that would only be retrieving information from a database and opening it up onto a new page. Everything I have read makes it seem pretty clear that I would need MySQL but I was hoping that there would be an easier way. I guess I will have to go the programmer route but hopefully a kind soul that will show me what they did so that I can add information to the dbase when needed.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.