Any ideas about the IE7 Information...

User 21668 Photo

2 posts

Hello Folks!

framework/example of the new site and problem (problem best viewed using IE7) : http://www.captainchicken.com/werk/sliding_layer1.html

Does anybody have any ideas how to workaround, bypass, or otherwise skip the aforementioned redundancy without going to each and every house that wants to access my sites and resetting their IE security settings myself?

I was given a computer running Windows XP Pro SP2 here recently. It's been years since I had time to update one of my sites and get things running, some of my JavaScripts worked only in IE6. Now I discover the code I've been using for some years is not even considered "real" in IE7.

Searching for some answers, I found a base code on Dynamic Web Coding (www.dyn-web.com) which works in all browsers except Opera. Not really a problem, I don't even know anyone who uses Opera, but I keep getting the message bar in IE7 telling me I have been protected from whatever evils can descend on my computer from, iframe, imagemaps, and who knows what else?

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I cannot load the html file that holds the map information in IE7. All of 20 short lines of code. A dialog/warning shows up stating "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this webpage from running scripts or ActiveX controls that could access your computer. Click here for options."

I spent versions 4.5 through 9 finding out why my "Slideout scrolling menu with graphics" wasn't working in Netscape (I'm not trying to be facetious, Microsoft got in a tiff with Netscape again over the JavaScript standard, now they only support "J"script.). Now that I have a chance to work out the bugs, I have to contend with Microsoft paranoia. I would just go with text and some other format in the menu, but one site I need to update is a painting site, and graphics intensive due to the nature of viewing images.

I really quit using IE years and switched to FireFox, but I can't convince everyone who visits my website to make the same change. Actually I don't think most of the people who want to go to my sites would know how. All I can see is my site being reduced to a drab, straight, collection of pages with dancing baloney to jazz it up.
User 21668 Photo

2 posts

Ok!

As hard as it is to believe, I have opened that page a number of times from the server, and have had the infobar pop up for no reason apparently. I looked all over the Internet to solve this problem, and now find out I'm being made a fool of by a machine.

I am not getting the strange infobar message any longer. I don't know why or what happened.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.