website access manager question #2 -...

User 475419 Photo

9 posts

Scott Swedorski wrote:
The only thing I can think of is your process is off.

1. Add a user
2. Click the folder on the left hand side you want to protect
3. Check the appropriate user

REPEAT STEP 1-3 FOR EACH USER

4. Upload

Scott

Got that. That part works fine ( the first time/first user(s) ) What I (and I think doug200567) are refering to is management day after day. Sorry i wasn't clear enough on that point. There seems to be some inconsistancies with what is viewed, what is changed, and what is deployed and how the exit process sees my actions. See my new post. Maybe it's just my expectations (compared to doing it daily by hand) or misunderstanding what the screens are reporting and why.

Like I mentioned in the other post, we are discontuning the use of WAM in production until we understand what is going on. Following the procedures in the manual we have left (too many) users information unprotected. It took a couple of tries to get it (re) protected. Had to out guess the results using steps that did not seem logical.

We will go back and review the manual and realign our excpectations if necessary

Now that we will be isolated from on-line production we will attempt to document step by step (including screen shots). It may take a llittle longer than we like but we are not software testers and have a full plate with out this.

Side-Bar
There was another user on in a different CCup blog that was having challenges with the number of users over 400. We also had the same challenge but set it aside as a possible oversight in procedures on our part as were were "multi-tasking" at the time
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

I guess I am not fully understanding the thought process very well. First time upload or anytime after that should be no different. It could be as you say, your expectation maybe different then what the software is doing, but I am not too sure I follow exactly right now. What really helps me understand the situation is a step by step chart. Step 1, do this, step 2 I did that. Even possibly a video of the entire item could really help us figure out the cause.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 475419 Photo

9 posts

OK too many issues - I'll start with continuing with what doug200567 started.
One of the confusing issues was explained by doug200567. My experience has been much the same. With a new profile and new (first time) users as you explained in your steps, Exiting is allowed with no "Update Modified Folders" message.

1. Add a user
2. Click the folder on the left hand side you want to protect
3. Check the appropriate user

REPEAT STEP 1-3 FOR EACH USER

4. Upload (to Server)
5. Exit

-------------------
I added the (to Server) and "5. Exit" to clairify my steps
-------------------

I have found that if I launch WAM and browse through the User Permissions, Website, and/or Folders Users Have Access To: and not make any changes, WAM "keeps track" of much of what I have browsed and sees it as a change that needs to be uploaded. Then the challenge doug200567 experiences starts - - -

---------------------------------------
The second larger problem is this. When I close the program, WAW, it says you have a modified folder do you want to upload it. I click yes and it uploads it. Then I try to close the program and it says I have a modified folder and it asks do I want to up load it. I say yes and it does. Then I try to close the program and is says I have a modified folder and do I want to up load it. I say yes. It up loads it. Well what I can not understand is why it does not upload it all at once and so far I have not found an end to this it just keeps doing it on an on. I have to just say no don't upload.
---------------------------------------
To Exit, I have to click "No" to "Upload Modified Folders"

WAM remembers this (same entries) again at Exit from the following session(s)

Looping continues until Exiting by saying "No" to "Upload Modified Folders".

Show Folder Access: seems to record all of my browsing as valid folder changes .

User 475419 Photo

9 posts

Sorry - Hit Reply too soon

In Show Folder Access it shows a whole lot of "Green Plus" on folders I browsed but have no/need no access control (htaccess) nor made any changes.

Upload want to delete htaccess files that are in use, needed and did not have any changes made
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

I am sorry but no matter what I do, I just cannot recreate this specific issue. I have tried on XP, Vista and even Windows 7 and it always works as it should. After I upload, I have never been prompted to re-upload on exit unless I make some sort of change.

If I can get the steps to re-create the issue I am sure we can figure out the cause, but no matter what I do, I can always make it work.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Gainer,

Can you make a screen video of what happens?
User 475419 Photo

9 posts

Doing a bunch of traveling right now and only have Vista Home Pre. on my laptop. Anything in this version to video with?
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Gainer,

I recently read an article about a digital video recording tool. There are three versions with the express version being FREE. I have not tested it, but it is on my list of things to do after finals this semester.

http://dottech.org/headline/6533 is the link to the article and it has a link to the digital recording tool.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.