Website Access Manager: .htaccess and...

User 4539 Photo

540 posts

The WAM software was humming along as advertised until this evening, when I noticed that new browser sessions weren't asking me for login info for protected pages. I noticed that the .htaccess and .htpasswd files were no longer visible in the folder where they are supposed to sit when I peeked at the website using my Direct FTP client. I checked the *.hdb file in the appropriate folder in my XP system, and it was definitely still there. I tried re-uploading everything from my Access Manager software ("Upload to Server"), and I got the following FTP blow-by-blow:

Logging onto FTP Server...
Connecting to FTP server.
Connected.
220 (vsFTPd 2.0.5)
USER ******* (username obscured by me)
331 Please specify the password.
PASS ********
230 Login successful.
Building Password File...
Uploading Password File...
TYPE A
200 Switching to ASCII mode.
PORT 192,168,1,3,11,112
200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
STOR /htdocs/.htpasswd
150 Ok to send data.
226 File receive OK.
PORT 192,168,1,3,11,113
NLST /htdocs/mem/.htaccess
150 Here comes the directory listing.
226 Directory send OK.
PORT 192,168,1,3,11,114
NLST /htdocs/mem/.htaccess
150 Here comes the directory listing.
226 Directory send OK.
SIZE /htdocs/mem/.htaccess
213 0
PORT 192,168,1,3,11,115
RETR /htdocs/mem/.htaccess
TYPE A
425 Failed to establish connection.
QUIT
200 Switching to ASCII mode.
Disconnected.

Upload Complete!

This seems to imply that upload was not successful, despite what the last statement said.

Do you have any ideas on how I might be able to re-establish the .htaccess and .htpasswd files on my web server site? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Howard
Mostly just lurking these days ...
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts

Hi Howard, long time no see!

I think you may have to submit a support ticket for your problem.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 4539 Photo

540 posts

Hi, Inger!

Yes, it's been a while! That's what happens when products like WAM hum along and gives me no reason to complain. Hope all of the gang are fine! I'll check at the Ambassador forums later.

I think I'll do that (support ticket). I'm hoping to avoid doing things all over again!

Good day!
Howard
User 146729 Photo

Ambassador
29 posts

Have you tried upload via a different FTP program yet? That would help narrow things down for the tech support.

Just an idea! Good Luck!
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Chris McCraw wrote:
Have you tried upload via a different FTP program yet? That would help narrow things down for the tech support.

Just an idea! Good Luck!

The way Website Access Manager is setup, you can only upload with the software.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Howard Yamaguchi wrote:
Hi, Inger!

Yes, it's been a while! That's what happens when products like WAM hum along and gives me no reason to complain. Hope all of the gang are fine! I'll check at the Ambassador forums later.

I think I'll do that (support ticket). I'm hoping to avoid doing things all over again!

Good day!

Do you know if anything changed on your server? Have you tried checking or un-checking the passive FTP option to see if that helps any?
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 4539 Photo

540 posts

Yes, it worked per your suggestion! It's been humming along ever since. (Actually, after the above post by Inger, I submitted a support ticket, and received the same response [from you, if I'm not mistaken]. That solved the problem, and I've had no problems since!) Thank you again!
Howard
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Howard Yamaguchi wrote:
Yes, it worked per your suggestion! It's been humming along ever since. (Actually, after the above post by Inger, I submitted a support ticket, and received the same response [from you, if I'm not mistaken]. That solved the problem, and I've had no problems since!) Thank you again!

Wonderful, and welcome back Howard!!

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.