Website Access Manager and subdomain...

User 441084 Photo

28 posts

Purchased Website Access Manager and it's been working fine until now.
I am using it on a subdomain and I get the prompt to put in username and password, but it doesn't accept the username and password. I'm sure I'm typing it correctly. I've even re-created the user to make sure.
For example: development.domainname.com The .htpasswd file is in the /development folder (which is the root of the subdomain) and the folder I'm trying to protect is the /admin folder which does contain the .htaccess file.

Is the problem because the /admin folder is a subfolder of the /development folder and this won't work?

Thanks in advance,
Twitch
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

The best way to test this is to enter the same information into an FTP program and see if you can get in that way. If you can't, this means your ftp information is incorrect.

When you do log in with the subdomain user, the Website directory must be in the home directory. Our software does not have a way to manually change to another folder nor will it see symbolic links.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 441084 Photo

28 posts

The FTP info is correct and when I go to development.domainname.com/admin I get the expected prompt to enter a username and password in, but it doesn't accept the username and password. It says it's invalid when I know it's valid.

The root of development.domainname.com is the /development folder which does contain the .htpasswd file. I'm guessing since it's not the overall root folder "/" that it's not looking in the right place to authenticate the user trying to access the /admin folder.

Hope this isn't confusing...ha ha.

I'm guessing the .htpasswd file HAS to be in the root "/" folder and the .htaccess file cannot be two folders down such as in /development/admin

Course then again, I could be wrong and showing my ignorance in public..haha
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

That error would occur because in the .htaccess file, the server root location to the .htpasswd file is incorrect. I will bet that your hosting provider gives you the same server root path for your primary Website as well as the sub-domain. An easy way to test this is to upload the htpath.php file to each of these folders and go see what it reports. If it reports the same path, then that is the cause of the problem.

I know on Godady you have to follow these steps:

http://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles/ … dy-server/
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 441084 Photo

28 posts

Scott Swedorski wrote:

I know on Godady you have to follow these steps:

http://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles/ … dy-server/

As always, you da man!

That did the trick.

Thanks,
Twitch
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

AWESOME!!!! ;)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.