specifications? - Post ID 147731

User 2117135 Photo

2 posts

1. URL to your Website (THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ITEM) dominikarajch.com
2. Operating system - Windows Vista
3. Version of the application - version 3.2 build 203
4. Trial or registered version - registered
5. What specific steps have you taken to create this issue? - have checked numerous times to make sure my settings were correct, also created another account with access to ftp to my site, and the same error occurs.
6. Does it occur every time? - yes
7. Can you recreate the issue on another computer? - yes, every computer.

The program can log in to my site, and auto-detects the proper folders.
This is exactly the message I get while trying to upload everything to my site.

Logging onto FTP Server...
Connecting to FTP server.
Connected.
220-
220-No anonymous logins accepted.
USER heaven@dominikarajch.com
331-Enter your member password
PASS ********
Building Password File...
Uploading Password File...
TYPE A
200 Type set to A.
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (67,195,140,212,238,207)
STOR //.htpasswd
553-The name you specified is not allowed.
553-Names must contain only ASCII letters (a-z,A-Z), digits (0-9), underscore, dot and dash.
553-Names must not start with a dot (.) or dash (-).

I believe that the error is because the file that is being created is .htpasswd which has the "." in front. Is there anyway to get around this?
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

A . is perfectly acceptable. I do see you are on a Yahoo server. Does the platform you are paying for allow htaccess?
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2117135 Photo

2 posts

Nope, it doesn't. problem solved.

I read somewhere that it did allow htaccess, but apparently I was drinking when I "read" that.

Thank you for your time.
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

Honestly, I don't know how Yahoo and Godaddy host so many sites with all the site restrictions they impose.
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!
User 451035 Photo

1 post

Is there any way around this issue?
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Rowdy Bolen wrote:
Is there any way around this issue?

There can be no workaround if the server will not allow a file to begin with a DOT. This ultimately means they do not even support .htaccess which is what Website Access Manager uses.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

I have come across sites where you have to ask the support to place dotfiles for you. Also, at some other servers I had to upload dotfiles as 'htaccess.txt' and then rename them on the server.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.