Server Root, and other issues - Post...

User 2055520 Photo

4 posts

Hello

Ok, here's the deal. This website, www.airmedicalmiami.com, wants a secure log in for a flight crew area of the website. So, if you click on "crew portal" you will find the test page I loaded. It is from this point that we want to have flight crew users log in (to view that page and beyond). So, I created a sub domain, www.aircrew.airmedicalmiami.com which has its own folder, /aircrew. I select that folder during the choose directory portion of the access manager set up, and it says "unable to auto-detect server path!" .. I am not sure what path I should manually put in.. The folder itself contains all the pages I want to secure, under that sub domain.. the path is basically www.airmedicalmiami.com/aircrew.. which is what is selected, /aircrew. My file manager list the main site directory in a folder called "html" .. so I have typed "html" into the server path area. Which makes it html/aircrew which I suppose is the right path. Upon clicking next, it does say it is successful.. it also shows the /aircrew folder on the access manager, with its contents.. it looks successful.. but it doesn't seem to be locking anyone out. I have applied the access manager to the main site, directly into the "html" folder and it then prompts for a password.. but we do not want the home page blocked, just this sub section.. not sure what the malfunction is.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Your primary Website will always be www.airmedicalmiami.com regardless of your folder or sub-domain used. After that, you simply select the aircrew folder and protect it.

On some hosting providers, sub-domains also give the same server root path as a primary one. We have an article here that can help. Even though this is for Godaddy, the same steps apply to any provider.

https://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles … dy-server/
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2055520 Photo

4 posts

Alright, thanks... well, then it seems that it is working now.. except for one new thing.. lol. I cannot log in with any of the allowed user names. They were granted access to the entire folder and the index page as well.. but when I type in the info, it acts like something is wrong with the user name/password. I have tried numerous times on both explorer and firefox.. not sure where the disconnect is, yet.

But, thanks again for the response :D
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Eric Bonneman wrote:
Alright, thanks... well, then it seems that it is working now.. except for one new thing.. lol. I cannot log in with any of the allowed user names. They were granted access to the entire folder and the index page as well.. but when I type in the info, it acts like something is wrong with the user name/password. I have tried numerous times on both explorer and firefox.. not sure where the disconnect is, yet.

But, thanks again for the response :D

It probably still has to do with the server root path. htaccess is looking for the htpasswd file in one location but the server is serving it from another. This would explain that problem.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2055520 Photo

4 posts

Hey, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was beating my head over this forever! :) That last response from you got me thinking.. I was assuming one (incorrect) thing.. I was using the absolute hosting path for my site, but I wasn't adding the final folder name (the protected folder) to the path.. I was assuming it was automatically added when I selected it from the list before hand. But anyway, the files were separated as you suggested. I have corrected it and everything is smooth.

Thanks for the support and the fast responses! Great piece of software.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.