RE: Website Access Manager 3.0 is...

User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Woody wrote:
Hey, it's feel good time around the ol' coffee pot this last week... don't let us detain you Scott... off you go, get on with SCC Pro! :D

We canceled the SCC Pro project. Sorry.... ;)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Not .... even .... funny ..... *tips over and has a heart attack on the spot* :P
User 2641572 Photo

1,245 posts

Scott Swedorski wrote:
Woody wrote:
Hey, it's feel good time around the ol' coffee pot this last week... don't let us detain you Scott... off you go, get on with SCC Pro! :D

We canceled the SCC Pro project. Sorry.... ;)

Just remember we know where you park the Ferrari...... :)
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Scott,

I downloaded this new version, started to install it (haven't installed it yet) and it's not letting me install it for all users. I am the admin, it's in admin mode already full access, yet it will not let me choose to install for all users.

I'm on Windows XP Pro SP3 and the choice that the installer suggests you do to get to admin install mode is not an option on my right click menu. Not sure what else to try to get it for all users, not sure if it's important to be all users either, but I usually tend to want it all to be so I don't have to deal with profiles and stuff like that.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Never Mind, I just went into the accounts on my system, didn't change a thing, then went to try installing it once more and now it will let me choose that option... go figure lol I swear my system is haunted! It's fine now though :)
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Wolverana wrote:
Never Mind, I just went into the accounts on my system, didn't change a thing, then went to try installing it once more and now it will let me choose that option... go figure lol I swear my system is haunted! It's fine now though :)

HEHE. I was just about to post a video on how it worked for me ;) Glad it is working now for ya.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 629005 Photo

Ambassador
2,174 posts

Must have been a lack of oxygen to the brain from when she keeled over from the announcement on SCC Pro.

:D:P:cool:
Living the dream, stocking the cream :D
User 113629 Photo

36 posts

Keith Hobley wrote:
However is it possible to display the individuals name when they have successfully logged on into the opening page i.e. Welcome Fred.

Scott Swedorski wrote:
Sorry, but no. Once the user authenticates, there really is nothing else for the software to do. If you think about it, how would Website Access Manager tie into your Website HTML code? Since there is no database or log file to read from, there is no way for the Website to know what to display.

If you have separate directories for each login, you can customize the index page in that directory for that user login. There are some advanced ways to pass the REMOTE_USER variable to the HTML page after the person authenticates, but that is far beyond the original intended purpose for the CoffeeCup Website Access Manager.

If you need anything beyond that to recognize & track users, you really need some sort of server side script, membership software, forum or CMS. All of which are not appropriate for me to post in this forum.
User 113629 Photo

36 posts

Scott Swedorski wrote:
7) As I mentioned earlier, Website Access Manager isn't just for password protecting your Website. It can also be used to provide general protection from the bad guys — spammers, robots, hackers, and the like. To help give you that extra protection, we added three new features:
Block Bad Robots: Blocks known spambots from accessing your Website

CC-WAM is a fantastic addition to the CoffeeCup software family!

While the password protection part of the software is rock-solid, you really need to slip in a disclaimer to make sure webmasters don't get a false sense of security about their websites. The software cannot detect all bad bots or exploit attempts. The "known spambot" list only checks for a known user agent string. Many of the notorious bad bots and exploit seekers don't have a user-agent string to detect.

Users should understand that the list that CC-WAM creates in .htaccess will block a large number (50-70%) of the dumber evildoers but it won't and can't block all of them. CC-WAM shouldn't be considered a full scale security application.

One huge benefit of using the spambot blocking feature is that website statistics will start to show more accurate traffic reports by rejecting a large number of the automated bots that attempt exploits, scrape content & email addresses from websites.

Scott the CC team really delivered a great product in CC-WAM. I continue to be proud to refer people to your software.
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Glad you like is so far Joseph. In one of the next versions we will make that list customizable as well, giving even more control.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.