Question before buy the program -...

User 2219732 Photo

5 posts

I inadvertently posted this to a different forum, so am reposting my question here. Is there a way to track who is actually accessing password protected pages using WAM? Anyone can share a password with someone who shouldn't have it, so I'd like to be able to detect who is actually accessing tutorial mp4 files for download on my site. Is this possible?
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

There is no way to do this that I am aware of. You can use Google Web Tools to track who visits the page, but I don't believe you can track who is using the code. Some one correct me here if I'm wrong, that would be a great thing to be able to do :)

What you can do is set up expiring ID/PW combos so that they are only good for a certain period of time. Set them up for 1 day or 3 days or something and tell them they have X number of days, hours, etc. to get their download.
User 1948478 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,850 posts

Shari,

Even if it were possible to do what you are suggesting, would this really solve the problem of illegitimate file sharing?
It seems to me that anyone with a legitimate password could download your tutorial MP4 files and then make them available to any number of 'friends' via e.g. dropbox or any other convenient means. In other words, there is no reason to share passwords to redistribute the files and this way of 'sharing' would be essentially untraceable...
User 2219732 Photo

5 posts

Thanks Jo Ann and Per for the responses. Yes, I know that files can be shared after a download, I've had it happen several times in the past. I was hoping for a way to be able to tell this group I'm teaching right now that I can "track" who is downloading to sort of let them know I know they are sharing. But, no matter, if someone wants to share material, they're going to do it.

I do, however, like the ability to put files up on my site rather than using another service for uploading and downloading of files. Occasionally, someone will start downloading, experience a problem and have to start all over. It eats up bandwidth and costs a bunch of extra $$$. I'd rather increase the bandwidth for my site.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.