Password protect all files, but have...

User 1925026 Photo

27 posts

I am having a dilemma, mainly because lack of knowledge :) I am worried that if I only password protect my index.htm page that smart users will simply manually type in the URL of the other pages on my site to bypass the password protected main page.

I'd like to password protect the other pages as well so that people can't do the scenario I mentioned above. The only thing I can see going wrong in doing this though is that the person would have to login every time they click on a different page on the site.

Long story short, is there a way to password protect all of the main pages of my site and when they enter the login info for one page it works for every page?

I have to find a way to work around people being able to manually type the URL's in but not have them entering in passwords every time they want to go to and from pages.

Any help or info will be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Scott, you guys need to come out with a Login Creator program like the Web Form Builder, so that people can have login areas on there site. I'd buy 10 of them and hand them out as Christmas presents! :)
Travis Johnson

Integrity Designs
www.integritydesigns.com
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

This is actually very easy to do. You don't want to protect the file, you want to protect the folder. Click the top most folder and then protect that. Now when a user visits your site, they will have to log in but then they will have access to all pages on your site without having to authenticate again. There is then no way to bypass this type of security. By protecting only the index.htm page, this allows users to circumvent the login.

From there, if you want to restrict specific pages, you can now do that as well.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 141192 Photo

5 posts

My website, let's call it www.mywebsite.com. Mywebsite.com has files that are available to the general public. Then there is a member only section. I have the same requirement of the initial poster but I don't need entire site protected, just certain files but don't want users to have to enter user name and password each time. The remedy was to protect the top folder. I don't need the top folder protected, just a folder within which contains all the files that should be accessible to members only.

How do I do this?

User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Lisa Alexander wrote:
My website, let's call it www.mywebsite.com. Mywebsite.com has files that are available to the general public. Then there is a member only section. I have the same requirement of the initial poster but I don't need entire site protected, just certain files but don't want users to have to enter user name and password each time. The remedy was to protect the top folder. I don't need the top folder protected, just a folder within which contains all the files that should be accessible to members only.

How do I do this?

My post below yours would apply. ;)

http://www.coffeecup.com/forums/website … post110560
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

I think you meant above hers? :P

Yep what Scott said lol. Just protect only the folder you want protected. Users can then browse the rest of your site but to get to the pages that reside in that folder they will need an id and password, same as if it were the root directory.
User 141192 Photo

5 posts

Here's the problem I ran into, I created a sub folder within the main where all files, graphics are stored for the site. When I created a link on my home page to the that file I want protected which is no longer in the main folder but in a sub folder, I got an error message saying that there was an internal error.

Any ideas how to maneuver around this?

(Used Dreamweaver to build my site)

Thanks.

Growing weary in Houston,

Lisa

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.