How many User Accounts can I create...

User 390296 Photo

4 posts

Hello-

I read through all of the threads, but wasn't able to find an answer ro my question. I'm currently setting up a "members only" page on my job's website, where employees would og in using their ID numbers. In total, we have over 1,400 employees. Can WAM handle this many user IDs/passwords, or is there a smaller limit? In the event that WAM is not capable of this amount of users, is there more robust application that can?

Thank you.

Eric
User 2144239 Photo

0 posts

Hi Eric,

There's no limit to how many users you can have in WAM. But make sure your hosting account has enough memory to allow for such a heavy .htaccess file. The more users you have the bigger the file. As long as you have the memory, you can have however many users you want. :)
User 390296 Photo

4 posts

awesome! Thanks
User 2144239 Photo

0 posts

You're welcome! :)
User 494844 Photo

8 posts

Monica
I have imported approximately 3000 usernames/pwords. When I attempt to access the page or folder I receive a error 500. So based on your quote below, I deleted all but 3 users and it works find. I have a large unix hosting package so memory shouldn't be a problem. What exactly do I need to ask Network Solutions regarding this issue?
Thanks,

Brian

Monica Kelsey wrote:
Hi Eric,

There's no limit to how many users you can have in WAM. But make sure your hosting account has enough memory to allow for such a heavy .htaccess file. The more users you have the bigger the file. As long as you have the memory, you can have however many users you want. :)
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Brian Boek wrote:
Monica
I have imported approximately 3000 usernames/pwords. When I attempt to access the page or folder I receive a error 500. So based on your quote below, I deleted all but 3 users and it works find. I have a large unix hosting package so memory shouldn't be a problem. What exactly do I need to ask Network Solutions regarding this issue?
Thanks,

Brian

Monica Kelsey wrote:
Hi Eric,

I am not sure on what the "technical term" would be for this, but just tell them you have an .htpasswd with 3000+ users and it causes the problem you are describing here. If you lower the user count in this file to XXXX, it works. They should be able to figure it out from there.

I would also refrain from saying you are using a program to do this otherwise they will just refer you to us and then we have to refer you back to them. ;)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 494844 Photo

8 posts

Thanks. I will give it a try.
User 2786488 Photo

2 posts

Am hosting with NetFirms, using Website Access Manager v5, build 235 to create username / password entries.

Through a great deal of trial and error, I've found that the client (username / password) limit appears to be 810 entries... If I add even one more client entry, issues immediately arise with accessing to my site (www.sweetsingletrack.ca).

The current .htaccess file size is 9kb and the .htpasswd file size is 32kb. As such, I'm guessing that file size isn't the issue...

Any thoughts on this one fellas?

Andrew Drouin
www.sweetsingletrack.ca
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

There are really no limits within WAM. The limits are with what your hosting provider allows. Since most shared hosting has limited amount of memory allocated to them, user accounts could vary from a few hundred to a thousand. The exact could would not so much be the amount of users but the size of the .htpasswd or .htaccess file.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2786488 Photo

2 posts

Scott

Understood, but does a current .htaccess file size of 9kb and a .htpasswd file size of 32kb not sound really small?

Andrew

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.