Access not granted - Post ID 102525

User 423303 Photo

3 posts

I bought this program and everything seems to work as expected except for one problem. If i turn off access for a user and upload, I can still log in with the user id and password. The only way I can stop access is to delete the user. I would like to be able to maintain a list of users but change their access as needed.
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

Did you close the browser and try to login as that user?
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!
User 423303 Photo

3 posts

Yes, I have even rebooted. Unless i actually remove the user, the access remains. All changes I make are immediate but simply unchecking the access permission and uploading does not work. Thanks for the reply.
User 399197 Photo

46 posts

I am just now (December 2009) incorporating access controls on one of my sites, and ran into the same issue(s). As I poked around, what I discovered was that when WAM writes the new data into the appropriate .htaccess file on the server, it does not delete the old information. Plus, the new info it writes is at the "top of the stack", which means that even though the server executes your most recent edits, it then re-executes all the old, unwanted information. As a check in your cases, use your FTP client to take a look at the appropriate .htaccess file and see if that is the case. What I've had to do is manually edit the .htaccess file to remove all the older stuff. I've been working with Cesar on this issue. I'm really new to the whole permissions thing, so it'll be interesting to see what the application folks have to say, once everyone gets back from Christmas break.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Dick,

If you have an existing .htaccess file with information that is not something Website Access Manager produces, that information will be preserved and placed at the top. Our code is the placed inside of its own block. Whenever you make any changes inside of our software, it knows only to touch that area we create. You should not have to do anything manually over FTP.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

Scott, so I can add my own directives to the htaccess file and the program will not overwrite the file deleting my stuff? If so that's sweet and I'll definately buy it.
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Tom wrote:
Scott, so I can add my own directives to the htaccess file and the program will not overwrite the file deleting my stuff? If so that's sweet and I'll definately buy it.

Correct. ;)

Given many hosting providers add some custom code to the .htaccess, we had to make sure to preserve the existing data or risk causing issues with their Website.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 399197 Photo

46 posts

Scott,

At his request, I sent Cesar my .hdb file for him to peruse. You need to know that neither my host's server nor I had created any .htaccess files -- the only .htaccess files were created in/by WAM. In my case, I was playing with protecting a single file; that file-referencing permissions code block shows up as it should in the containing folder's .htaccess file. As I continued to play with adding/deleting permissions, all the info for that particular file's permissions just kept stacking up, that is, multiple instances of that file's permissions took up shop in the folder's (single) .htaccess file. Seems to me that WAM needs to be smart enough to know/track what it creates so that it can clean house as appropriate when updating the .htaccess file.

I look forward to following Cesar's and the developers' efforts.

Thanks for your interest and support.

DIck
User 399197 Photo

46 posts

Here's a follow-up to my recent post. I have since learned that the problems I encountered were entirely of my own making. The unnerving part is that I was able to totally screw things up from within WAM. I'm not new to programming -- I authored a piece of software that was used in the medical transcription field for ten years. I also know about testing and conditioning user responses for potentially bad/harmful/unexpected behaviour. 'Nuff said.

Scott and Cesar got back to me with not only good info, but also a video they made of them going through my setup and showing how they "unscrewed" my mess. I don't know of any other vendor who offers the kind of outstanding service that CoffeeCup does. My hat is off to the CC crew.

Now, here's what I learned. I went back and re-read the WAM manual armed with the additional information received from CC. The information is there, albeit a bit subtle in some places. So, spend some time in the manual. Then, spend some MORE time in the manual.

Anyhow, I'm off and running. Thanks again to the CC team.

Dick Raymond

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.