Positioning elements on form - Post...

User 10674 Photo

17 posts

I really don't understand how to make a form look the way I want it to look. It makes very little sense to me.
for example: I have name and email on the first line, address1 on the second line and I want address2 under address1 on the third line. Form builder wants to put it next to address1. That's not where I want it. If I increase the width percentage then It centers the field on the third line.
I find it EXTREMELY difficult to get the elements where I want them.
I have been using Coffee Cup software for several years and this is the first time that I am beginning to think I should not have purchased one of CC's software programs.
I really don't know about the other elements because I haven't spent any time with them. If I can't get the text fields where I want them then I will have to stick with the flash Form Builder and I won't need any other elements. I wanted to switch because I can't email results with the flash version.

My form is at http://sandi.coffeecup.com/forms/vollite/
The original form is at www.pascodemocrats.com/volunteer.html
User 10674 Photo

17 posts

I have one more problem. How do I get each text field over to the left side of the form. I can get the label to the left but the input box stays where it is.
Why does the label start way to the right of where the field starts? Am I missing something? I have looked at all the settings, I have 0 padding on the left.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

It is actually pretty simple Sandra. All you need to do is click on each element and then go to the Properties Tab and change the Item Width. This allows you to reduce the size of the element bringing them up next to one another. You can then use the padding options to space them out more.

I took your form on your site and made this one in 8 minutes. I actually think I am getting faster at this. :)

http://sample.coffeecup.com/forms/volunteer/

I will email you the .fb file so you can tweak it further.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 629005 Photo

Ambassador
2,174 posts

Scott - you may be getting faster, but you chose BAD text coloring for the "best times to call"... My old eyes had to strain to see the text ;) No cookies for you on this one, (even though you've done this at 8pm on a Saturday evening) LOL!!!

Living the dream, stocking the cream :D
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Phil wrote:
Scott - you may be getting faster, but you chose BAD text coloring for the "best times to call"... My old eyes had to strain to see the text ;) No cookies for you on this one, (even though you've done this at 8pm on a Saturday evening) LOL!!!

I was just tweaking that. ;)

I changed it to a drop down list and it looks much better I think. Hopefully Sandra agrees. ;)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 10674 Photo

17 posts

Scott Swedorski wrote:
It is actually pretty simple Sandra. All you need to do is click on each element and then go to the Properties Tab and change the Item Width. This allows you to reduce the size of the element bringing them up next to one another. You can then use the padding options to space them out more.

I took your form on your site and made this one in 8 minutes. I actually think I am getting faster at this. :)

http://sample.coffeecup.com/forms/volunteer/

I will email you the .fb file so you can tweak it further.

I guess I wasn't clear enough. Yes, it is easy with the labels on top. What I was talking about is a text field with the labels to the side. I don't want the labels on top. My original form is quite long. Having the labels on top just takes up too many lines.
User 2255295 Photo

8 posts

To Sandra: I haven't played around with the program too much yet but if you blank out the label area and put a plain text box next to your input box it seems to do what I THINK you mean.
User 10674 Photo

17 posts

Thank you but I have tried that. At a 20% width I can't get the plain text box close enough to the input box. This program just doesn't give the designer enough flexibility to position elements. If I try to move the plain text next to the input box it snaps to some grid. I have looked for a "snap to grid" option but didn't see one.
I have done nothing but play with this for 5 days. I am going back to the flash version and will live with not being able to email the results.
I am sorry I spent the money.
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Sandra Harrison wrote:
Thank you but I have tried that. At a 20% width I can't get the plain text box close enough to the input box. This program just doesn't give the designer enough flexibility to position elements. If I try to move the plain text next to the input box it snaps to some grid. I have looked for a "snap to grid" option but didn't see one.
I have done nothing but play with this for 5 days. I am going back to the flash version and will live with not being able to email the results.
I am sorry I spent the money.

You can do it Sandara and it should not take you 120 hours. I made the rough mockup in 8 minutes. With the Item Width, Item Padding and Spacer Element, you can easily get everything to line up correctly.
User 10674 Photo

17 posts

I don't see my last response so here it is again. If I wanted the labels on top of the input box it would have taken no time at all to accomplish. I want the labels to the left of the input box. That is where the problem lies. Can't position elements where I want them. I guess the developers of the new form builder know what I want better than I do.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.