Uninstalling CC Trial Programmes -...

User 369709 Photo

54 posts

XP SP3, IE7, Firefox 3. Total Newbie.

Ahoy there!

Today was going to be the day I purchase the CC Bundle! I was excited!

To date I've been test driving the latest versions of The HTML Editor, Visual Site Designer, and Google Sitemapper. Following advice given in these Forums, it seems wise to uninstall the trial versions prior to purchasing the products.

So, using the CC Programme files UNWISE I successsfully unistalled VSD first, then uninstalled HTML Editor which appears not to have been very
successful and I can't find any way of uninstalling Sitemapper. Neither UNWISE nor Add or Remone Programmes can find the INSTALL.LOG prog/file for SiteMapper.

Here is a list of folders/ files remaining behind:
BACKUP- folder
Graphics- folder
Working-folder
CCutils-dll
Coffee-application
Colorschemer-mru
laastopen.DAT
projects-confg settings
schemer-DAT
simon-adu
simon-sp.adl
site spider- DAT
toolbar -dat
and the CC Google SiteMapper prog which I can't see how to uninstall.

Question is: Is it safe to invest in buying and downloading the CC software with all these folders/files still on my system and does anyone know how to uninstall them and what I should do about uninstalling GSM? I dont' want to pay for what could be an unclean download which might give loads of problems later, if not straight away.

Thank you very much.
Giving the people what they want is fundamentally and disastrously wrong. The people don’t know what they want. They want to be entertained, that’s all. Don’t give the people what they want – give ‘em something better!

Samuel L. “Roxy” Rothapfel (1882 – 1936)

www.torontosailingschool.com
User 597929 Photo

1,332 posts

I would go through the Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs menus, personally. If they no longer show up there then I would say it's safe just to delete the folders by hand, or leave them be (they'll probably get overwritten by the new installs).
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinland.biz
User 369709 Photo

54 posts

Hi Spinny. Thanks for responding.

That's what I need confirmation on. Will they be overwritten or not?

Add or Remove Programmes has GSM but can't find an uninstall file and I didn't get an 'uninstall successful' box show up after HTML ran, as I did with VSD.
Giving the people what they want is fundamentally and disastrously wrong. The people don’t know what they want. They want to be entertained, that’s all. Don’t give the people what they want – give ‘em something better!

User 597929 Photo

1,332 posts

Hrm. I'm not a registry expert by any means, but usually once that menu no longer shows it I expect all the nasty entanglements are gone and anything left can be simply deleted or ignored. I often have folders left behind after an uninstall that had data or config files in them not part of the baseline install the uninstall script was looking for, all fodder for manual deletion without problem.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinland.biz
User 369709 Photo

54 posts

For those of you who are in the same position as myself, I thought you might like to see the very informative (and speedy) response from CC Support.

The Skip

You will need to manually delete those folders, because the HTML Editor and Google SiteMapper does not remove previous versions. Then visit this site ( http://www.ccleaner.com/ ) and download the free version of Ccleaner ( this is a registry cleaner which will remove any files left behind ) from FileHippo. Once downloaded you will need to install it, and follow these steps:

Click on the Registry tool -> Scan for issues-> Fix Selected Issues...-> Do not back up changes to the registry-> Fix all selected issues-> then run again until no issues are found.

Once you have cleared all issues, you can install the registered versions.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, just let us know.

User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

Hi Skip,
I did this a while back and it seemed to take care of it, at least look it over.
The Windows Registry Editor

To manually clean your registry using the Windows Registry Editor, first create a backup of the registry, and then remove unnecessary files:

* On the desktop, click the Start button on the left bottom corner
* Click Run
* A new window to "run" commands
* Type regedit
* Click OK
* At the top of the window click File
* Go down to Export
* Type a name for the backup file, and click Save

After creating a backup of your registry, you can go to the left side of the registry editor window and view how your computer is configured.

Click on the plus sign to expand a section of the registry editor. A "well-used" area for anyone manually deleting registry files is "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE." This area is used to make registry changes to hardware and software.

just scroll to Coffeecup folder and remove html editor

User 369709 Photo

54 posts

Thanks Bruzer. I'll take a look.
Skip.

User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

Skip did that work for you?

User 369709 Photo

54 posts

Hi Bruzer

Bit nerve racking - anything with the word "Registry" in it causes panic to set in - but yes, it did, and I have sinced purchased the whole shebang. Now busy building my little website. So many thanks old bean and may the wind forever be in your sails!

Skip

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.