Free HTML Editor - installation -...

User 2824806 Photo

2 posts

Hello,

It's been seven years or more since I last used CoffeeCup's HTML Editor and last night I decided to try it out again. I downloaded the free version and installed it, then I uninstalled it.

First of all, I signed up here at the CoffeeCup site just moments ago so I can ask a question. I would have posted this in the Free HTML Editor forum since that is the product I am using but I see no way to create a new thread there, not even in the regular HTML Editor forum. The only place I see a "Start a new post" link is here. Oh well. Nothing I can do about that.

The reason I uninstalled the Free HTML Editor is because I did not like how/where it installs. Why is it installing the entire program in /user/appdata ? Why isn't it installing to the Program Files x86 folder or Program Files folder like every other program? The fact that it's installing the entire program into the appdata folder seems wrong. The data specific to the logged on user that the program uses would write to that section of course, but the entire installation too?

I have two user accounts on my computer, the normal admin one for system maintenance and program installation and then a local one I use for daily purposes (use of programs, internet browsing and content consumption).

So when I went to install this I noticed it was installing to my admin user's appdata folder. It should install to the Program Files folder so that when I log on my standard/local user account he has access to it and anything pertaining to that user is then stored in that user's appdata folder.

I see you have a thread topic here about how to do a clean uninstall of this program and even on that page the instructions show the program having written to the Program Files folder, but for me when I went to install this, nothing went to the program files folder -- everything went to admin user's appdata area. That just seems wrong.

I just want to know why it defaults to full installation in a user's appdata folder and not the Program Files x86 folder or Program Files folder where it belongs like most every other program. I attached a small screenshot showing it's chosen default installation path.

Thanks.

Attachments:

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.